Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UPS and shipping amps? Original Packaging?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

So Im trying to sell a fellow talkbasser a amp.

I fond out that they have a policy were if you sending a "electronic device" that it has to be in "original packaging or it may void your right to insurance.

Huh?

So if I have a unit in a flight case inside a box thats not aloud?

Should I just box it up? Head on down to fed ex?

What do you do?

AJ

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I shipped an amp via UPS a few months ago that wasn't in original packing and no one mentioned that policy to me. It was insured , too.

I would contact UPS and make certain that your info is correct.

Pkr2

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't even mess with UPS. You will save money by using FedEx ground and it's normally faster.

brad cook

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

They had a sighn on the wall that said it

AJ

5. They gave me the same crap when shipping a camera once. Since then I've used FedEx. FedEx ground is cheaper than UPS for shipping guitars/amps.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm an Operations Manager for UPS. Don't worry... I'm not offended. ;) I'll try to enlighten you.

The original box for electronic devices is generally advised b/c it is designed specifically for that unit and provides the necessary protection it needs while in transit. Many times I've denied pkgs at the customer counter b/c someone is trying to ship a 100 lbs item in a box that is designed to hold no more than 40 lbs. This is obviously a problem. It could burst by simply lifting it off the counter. It's not going to be well protected in that case when it is loaded onto a trailer with 2,000 other pkgs.

I don't care who you decide to use but I would make sure your box is constructed of double wall cardboard, that it's burst strength can handle an item that weighs at least 150 lbs (there should be a small seal on the bottom of it that will tell you it's weight limit), and that you have two inches of space on all four sides so that the amp "floats" and makes no contact with the inner wall of the box. Fill in the space with layers of cardboard or newspaper and you should be good. Do not use peanuts or styrofoam popcorn for something this heavy. It's completely useless for heavy objects.

If packed like the above and brought to my customer counter, I would let this pkg go. I cannot guarantee that another UPS facility will, however.

Oh yeah, a flight case in a box would be fine with me and should provide plenty of protection. Again, however, I can't guarantee that every UPS facility will accept it.

Email me if I can be of anymore assistance.

Mike

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I second FedEx Ground..I used UPS to ship a cab, and they dropped it and seperated the magnet from the speaker..It took about 2 months for them to file the claim...They called improper packaging because the recipient threw the box away...FedEx handles it faster and shipping is cheaper..Never once had a problem shipping anything through them.

8. Hey Mike,

As always its good to have someone on the inside posting for us here. I do have a few questions though:

Why does UPS not seem to care about customer service? I mean, here in St. Louis, the counter service is total garbage - its like UPS thinks they are doing ME a favor shipping my package, and couldn't care less if I go use someone else - which I do now. It always seemed more difficult (and expensive) to use UPS, while the FedEx counter staff are always helpful and more than willing to take a little time to make me feel comfortable - like they WANT my business.

Anyhow, this obviously isnt directed at you personally, but maybe something you can pass up the food chain. :) As you can see from this thread (and others) many users here have a disdain for UPS and many vote for FedEx, and it seems in the long run this will really hurt UPS. I work in the computer/IT field, and we similarly try to avoid UPS due to damage claims on computer equipment, etc. Thankfully Apple Computer uses Airborne and FedEx.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Mike, thanks for your post. I'm pretty slow to change service providers if I've been using someone for a while, but I've taken my business to FedEx Ground too.

Customer service is one reason...the two UPS customer counters that I've dealt with (Palatine and Northbrook, IL) both treat me like I'm a complete idiot and that I haven't a clue how to pack something. When challenged, they inspect my packing method, the reluctantly admit that they'll cover it against damage. All this takes time and causes aggrevation.

With FedEx Ground, I'm greated pleasantly, treated like I know what I'm doing, thanked for my business and charged about 30% less than I would have been at UPS. Plus, I'm in and out in just a few minutes, even when they're busy. Hard to argue with that.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I personally have no disdain for UPS. FedEx ground is just plain cheaper and faster.

brad cook