1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UPS broke a t bird , I rebuilt it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Dec 23, 2011.

1. UPS broke this sucker and punched the jack right through the body , it ended up back at musicians friend and was posted in the used section as a D condition in need of repair , no photo- i had a coupon and took a gamble and ended up with this bass for 98.02$. At less the 1/3 the price of a new one i figured i could part it up if it was to nasty

I got it today and here is the body

001-56.

Here is what is left of the missing wood
    002-58.

The wood is so thin on the top but only in the jack region making it an easy break if there is a direct hit , if the bass falls over plugged in the cord will hit the floor and push through or if you step on the cord while playing , why epiphone?

003-51.

Yep I am going to cut it up
    004-50.

Making big ole holes in basses! Note: i did clean up the route a tad more , what reoves sharpie from paint , i shouldnt have used one and most of it is covered

006-40.

Fitting
    005-47.

and finished product
    007-38.

008-35.

The plate was stolen from my brothers affinity strat and i need to replace it on his so if anyone has one they can ship to me cheap , please let me know.

I would have angeled it a little but i felt it paralled the knobs well like that and with all the wiring i had going on in the back cavity this was pretty much the only way.

Other then that its brand new in great shape and it plays well (i have owned 4 gibby birds and a greco) , i love my 98$ t bird well 98$+whatever the jack will be.

NigelD, Flooflox, HaphAsSard and 3 others like this.
  2. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    looks fantastic!

3. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Good thinking there, easy and cheap fix. Looks like you ended up getting a good deal in exchange for a little effort.

4. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Great job!!

5. Pretty smart fix. Looks sweet, too!

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Nice fix!

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Two things...

One, You might find a BLACK jackplate that'd look more stealth.

Two, denatured alcohol (available at any hardware store) removes Sharpie with one swipe. It's like Kryptonite for Sharpie.

8. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Cool, Nice job.. much better deal now that its playable..

9. Thanks i had dentured alcohol and your right , off it went- i used sharpie before and took it off so i must have used that prior, having a slow day here:p

As for the blackjack plate , i may end up doing that since the jack plate i have is officially on loan , stolen off a affinity squier i paid 30$, I plan on giving it to my brother for his b day at the end of january so I have a month or so to figure it out.

Anyways it was a nice quick fix , maybe 45 minutes , i used a drill, sandpaper and a hand file.

I am always building stuff and am trying to get in the habit of taking photos , so this was my first venture into that.

Now I am looking at a squier p bass neck i have on hand, fenderbird? maybe;)

Rattman likes this.
  10. cjmatt

cjmatt

Jan 9, 2011
    Founder: 62ndSongProject
    Great fix! Cheap, easy and kind of a gutsy move too! I was checking out the pictures, wondering....where is he going with this?

I like!

11. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Looks good!

12. guitarded

guitarded

Oct 23, 2005
    Brilliant fix! Congrats!

I avoid UPS when I can.

13. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Yeah, nice looking fix. That's an idea I might use on my Fenderbird project!

14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    this

15. nice job, you should call it Phoenix ;)

Son of Wobble likes this.
  16. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Nice job! Blackjack will only enhance the look. Bravo!

17. Thanks guys , I am going to order a blackjack and return my brothers stolen jack :)

The fender neck i have has already had to many surgeries so if i go that route i need a different neck.

Knigel your the kind of fender birds and this just makes it more fender-y!

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You're my hero. Absolutely excellent.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  19. Very well done and a clever repair.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements