UPS Came and my rig is complete!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Korg DTR-2000
    Furman Power Conditioner
    A misc. crossover that I am not using.
    Sansamp RBI
    QSC PLX 3402(UPS brought it today!!!)
    Acme b4 @4ohms run into one channel of the qsc.

It sounds sweeet!!!! I want to get another acme b4.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    nice! now how about i take that DTR2000 off your hands now :D?
  3. No, I love it! It's also great night light.
  4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    very nice soundaholic. One the topic of power amps I have a question for you guys. I have a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT-410HLN rated at 500 watts RMS/1000 peak. I am looking at going the power amp route and possibly adding another cab down the road (maybe 1x15, 2x10 or 2x12). Lets assume the second cab has about the same power handling abilities as the Ampeg. What power amp would you recommend?

The PLX 1602? PLX 1202? More or less power? I get kind of confused when it comes to the rated RMS power of cabs and what they can actually take.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice set-up Chris!

You just went from a Metro combo to a power/pre rig. I just went form a power/pre rig to a Metro combo. I hope it works out well for you.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Very nice!

hate to participate in a hijacking but.....since you already have one 4 ohm cab, I am assuming you are going to want your next cab to be 4 ohm as well. Based on that, you are going to need a pretty large amp, so you can run each cab off of one of the two channels, to avoid 2 ohm operation. Do some checking around, you may find you would be better off to sell the cab you already own, and get two 8 ohm cabs, thus allowing you to get big power by running a smaller amp in bridged mode. I run 1200 watts into a single Eden 410XLT, and it is brutally loud, I have no need for a second cab.
  7. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I see the RMS for that Eden cab is 700w however you are runnin 1200 watts. Is this safe? This is the part I am grey on. The Ampeg is 500w RMS. What is the safe power I can put into it without blowing parts?

8. It is safe. And is actually safer.

It's like this. If you push an amp too hard it distorts, so you want to have more power than you need. When an amp clips it's usually because of lack of power not too much power.

You can do a search on headroom here and find more info on it.