UPS damage quandry

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Apr 15, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I've posted here before about my Jasmine ABG that arrived damaged. i just got it back from shop and for $278, well it will never sell as mint or even nice, but it plays.
    The problem is, as the recipient, i have no rights to contact UPS. They wont talk to me. The shipper is their customer.
    The shipper has apparently written me off saying good luck with your bass.
    She does not return emails. I have no way of knowing what the status of the claim is (there was $300 insurance).
    In fact they might have sent her a check already. She's in Texas and im in N.Y. (well, L.I.).
    ALso there was obvious negligence on her part as she sent the thing in its case and its case alone. It's a nice case, but come on!
    They might have told her they wont pay and she wont tell me. The funny thing is, if i heard this was the result, i would just write it off. But now im so mad id like to hire a lawyer and tell them to keep the money if it comes, I just want some satisfaction on this. Of course $278 would not lift the eyebrow of any legal mind.

Any suggestions on how i can get involved in this and get it over with?
  2. That's probably the case: if it's not shipped in a cardboard box or crate with enough padding (2-3"), it can't be insured for damage. It can be insured for loss though. Unless the claims people were in a real generous mood, they probably told the shipper they were out of luck. I'm guessing that's why they're ignoring you: they have no insurance check to pass on to you. (I used to work for ups, this is unofficial advice)

That's really bad, the shipper tries to save a few bucks on shipping and it ends up messing you over. I hope they level with you and something works out in your favor...
  3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'd say keep hounding them. There was a problem last year when the box carrying my cirrus to the peavey factory arrived "soaking wet". Although it was my bass, they guys at peavey (great GREAT people btw) had to file the paperwork and then *I* also had to file paperwork to get UPS to pay for a new case (which thank god was the only thing that got ruined). Long story short, it took about 3 weeks on the phone to get UPS to pony up the dough.

I know my situation is a little bit different than yours, but I thought it might help.
  4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    For what it's worth, when my bass arrived damaged a few weeks ago, I was able to begin the claims process through UPS, even though I was the receiver.
    I called the 1-800-PICK-UPS and the next morning, the claims rep called me, offered to have the bass picked up for inspection (he was close enough that I chose to hand-deliver it ;) ) The rep then took care of shipping costs to get it to wherever I needed it to go to be repaired.
    He was very helpful every step of the way, even though I wasn't their "customer."

Yes, the shipper is who must fill out the paperwork, but as the receiver, you should be able to get much more involved in the process. Maybe a call to the supervisor in the claims department?
  5. I obviously don't know all of the circumstances, but this sounds to me like a valid issue to raise in small claims court. I'm sure it's a pain to file a small claim in court in Long Island, but still - it usually doesn't cost that much and the sender would ultimately have to cough up the cash for damage caused by improper shipping on her behalf. UPS probably isn't liable for anything, though - they did deliver the package in its case to you. I don't know though.

Incidentally, I worked for a while unloading boxes from the backs of UPS semi trucks at a major UPS delivery hub. After seeing the kinds of things that go on there (flinging packages, dropped items, damaged goods, massive duct tape fixing operations, general lack of interest on the part of employees, etc) I'm not sure I'd send a bass through UPS. Man, you would die seeing how many damaged computers, etc I saw in an average day. Maybe Fed Ex or the regular US Postal Service is better - couldn't say as I never saw it first hand.