1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ups destroyed a vintage bass the success story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollcall, Mar 13, 2009.

1. First off for karmic reasons no file against ups was made... It goes like this. my bass came early I was elated and opened the box to find the upper bout missing some serious chunks. I called the shipper and they said sorry to hear that. Have the repair done and call us and tell us the cost. They plan on reimbursing me. Enclosed are two before pics. I did the repair and it took about 6 hours so I wonder what everyone thinks should be charged for this. It is a 1978 jazz bass in sunburst all stock...

Attached Files:

2. value?

Attached Files:

3. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    shoulda left it, it looked cool.

4. the wood was shorn off by about a half inch deep

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Strange story... Didn't file a claim "for karmic reasons"? Why, did you feel that filing a claim would weigh against you in the afterlife, or that it would cosmically cause somebody else to have a problem with something you ship?

I think you should have agreed on a value with the seller before doing any work. What if he thinks you shouldn't get what you ask for, do you then turn around and say "oh, it really didn't cost me that much, I'll take X lower amount instead?

If this is going forward the way you have described, then I'd say a shop would have charged a couple hundred for that, but "for karmic reasons" you might ask for $150.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    charge 400.

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    $25 an hour would be fairly cheap for that type of labor... $150

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd charge $40 an hour plus materials, but for karmic reasons I'd double it.

9. Since you didn't take it someplace and get an invoice/receipt, I'm not sure what they would agree to.

Also, you "fixed" it, but not back to original condition. It looks like you glued the wood back on, added some filler, sanded and sprayed it black? A "true" fix to the original type finish might have required a complete refin of the body. Probably a $4-500 job. Maybe more. Probably would have been a good idea to file the UPS claim and get your money back on the purchase - but that's my take.

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    if that was my bass, that would not be considered fixed, id have it refinished.and charge them. it must not have been packed very well to take that kind of damage.

11. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Is this what they mean by "Road Worn"?

12. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    What does Karma have to do with UPS? The only reason I would bring karma into the situation was if you and the seller were intentionally planning to damage the bass to receive reimbursement from UPS. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with filing a claim.

13. Yeah I am not sure I understand. As a seller if I saw that repair I would not refund you anything for it. And on top of that it cost you nothing.

Take it to a place have it done the correct way and then charge him what it cost to fix it.

14. Also if it is 100% stock at the moment with no issues then after the repair he should also refund the difference of decline in value. All of this is reason to file a claim with UPS.

15. bass'n it

bass'n it

Oct 3, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Nice job on the repair!.......I'd charge $40/Hr.:)

PBass club # 735
    Passive club # 117
    Ampeg club # 436

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No. That's what they call broken as in broken record.

17. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    THis is not the UPS I have dealt with in the past, but for karmic reasons you should have brought the instrument to a professional luthier and been assured that the job was done right. and for other karmic reasons you should charge UPS $1000 for all of us who have been beaten down by UPS' claims department.

G

18. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    isn't this why you buy the insurance on the package?

19. bluesfan216

bluesfan216

Oct 9, 2008
    Arkansas

+1000!

20. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I take it that the shipper didn't use a hard shell case AND a box??