Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UPS has my bass, and won't let me have it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Aug 5, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A long story, but I'll keep it brief.

After expressing severe GAS for a 5-string Tacoma Thunderchief ABG, my wife decided in early June to get me one for Father's Day. She called the place I'd told her about (Musicians' Buy), and they had just sold out (it was in stock when I'd called a few days eariler). She was told it couldn't come for Father's Day, but would surely arrive in the last week of June. The end of June came, and I called about the bass, and they said Tacoma had pushed back the delivery date to the end of July. On July 28, I received notice from my wife that the bass had shipped and would be here some time this week.

Yesterday, armed with a tracking number, I found out that the bass had arrived here in Portland, OR, just after noon. I was really hoping it would come today, because I leave on a trip tomorrow, and will be seeing my college roommate, who plays acoustic guitar. I thought it would be great to bring my new Tacoma and have a jam session; as a stay-at-home dad with a child with serious medical issues, I RARELY get the chance to jam with other people -- I'm kind of a prisoner of my daughter's medical situation, since it's impossible to get a babysitter given her severe medical issues.

I checked today, and it's not "out for delivery," but is supposed to arrive on Monday, when I'm not here. Since it's already in town, I tried desperately, and actually succeeded in talking to a human being, who informed me that there is no way I can come pick up my package until after delivery has been attempted. (Keep in mind that UPS does not typically ask for signatures for packages for me; the last time they left a $1400 bass on my doorstep and rang the bell -- good thing I was home!)

I begged, pleaded, offered money, etc., but have been told that I can't have my package today.

WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR ME?*

How about letting me have my bass? :mad: :spit:

*UPS slogan -- clearly meaningless in this case. At least Burger King stands by their "Have it Your Way" slogan to a certain degree.

2. I say you give them some brown, in a burning paper bag, then you can ring thier doorbell and leave your package :)

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I still here waiting for the Big Brown Truck(my SX Jazz is schedule to arrive today)

[​IMG]
    :hyper: :D :hyper: :D

4. BartmanPDX

Yeah, my wife and I have been making lots of colorful, angry jokes playing on the word "Brown." :D :D :D

5. BartmanPDX

Good to hear it. Enjoy!!!

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I was under the impression you could call for a pickup.

7. LOL!, that is one of the best suggestions that I have heard in a while.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I can understand. I had a package coming that the sender sent "Signature Required". I got the notice and called UPS, explaining that no one would be at the house during delivery hours and could I just come down and pick it up. "No" i was told that there had to be 3 delivery attempts before I could come down and pick it up. The phone call degenerated into a bizzare "Who's on first" type of discussion.

9. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    LMFAO!!!

10. i would be more upset about the place that sold you the bass than UPS. they were the company that gave you the runaround for 2 months.

11. BartmanPDX

Daughter is having seizures . . . I'l probably have to cancel the trip anyway at this point. :(

Called again and talked to a different person, who intimated that a pickup might be possible today.

However, as I may be leaving for the hospital soon with my daughter, I don't guess it matters much. :bawl:

12. i'm sorry to hear this. best wishes.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, brother, i know it sucks, but the bass can wait.. my prayers for your daughter.

ps- no, i am NOT a fan of BROWN~

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hope your daughter gets better. :(

Marshall

16. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'm sorry to hear about your daughter... My family want you to know that we're thinking about her... :(

FWIW, UPS managed to trash my first bass amp, so it was DoA, sent it back (UPS couldn't find the house 4 times in a row even though they'd been here before), they took it to a carpet warehouse across the road from the manufacturers where it lay for 8 weeks apparantly unnoticed, then when Carlsbro sent us the new one they trashed that too, and it died a week after ordering, so I just gave up. Then when my dad ordered a computer monitor the other day they managed to smash that too... If you ever have the choice, don't use them!

17. Yes; you can call for them to pick up a package from you that's out-going.

18. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Bartman,

This is a sucky situation, one that I've dealt with many times before (as I'm sure most of us have at some point). See if you can contact the seller's customer service, explain the situation, and get them to contact ups. I believe that ups will only respond to the shipper's requests until such time as they've attempted to deliver, at which point they'll either leave it for you or leave a notice letting you know they were there and they'll be back (or you can call at that point). I don't know if this is actual policy on their part, but it's worked for me in the past...good luck!

19. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope everything works out. I know there is a large UPS facility near Willsonville, could you drive there and pick it up?

20. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yupiiiiii :hyper: yupiiiiiiiii :hyper: my bass is here,good osund,good shape yupiiii,when my brother call me,hey UPS is call you,i say yes my bass is here :D :D :hyper: :hyper: yupiiiiiiiiiiiiiii