UPS is very expensive

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 9, 2005.

1. If you're ever going to consider shipping a package with UPS, please get the Fedex price before doing it. I was with my dad trying to ship a concept II erg. (rowing machine) (bad ebay transaction where they said it was in "very good" condition, when it was really in crappy condition and had 11,000,000 meters on it.; we've bought a new one now.) UPS wanted $149 to ship it. I thought the lady at the desk was crazy. After alot of discussion and thinking, my dad and I went to the Fedex. They wanted $72. Does something seem wrong with this picture? I can understand minor price discrepencies, but this is ridiculous. UPS is really overpriced. Go Fedex.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I never ship anything other than groundshipping but FedEx is typically about 30% cheaper for ground. The last time I sent something FedEx ground I priced it at the post office first and FedEx was cheaper than the post office.

brad cook
  3. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Actually, go DHL. When I had to ship an arcade monitor it cost $10 less than who ever was cheaper between FedEx or UPS
  4. as a note, my company had 6-7 problems in the last 2 weeks with fed-ex express service. We have not had one overnight or 2nd day package show up on time in the past 2 weeks. 2 overnight shipments have gotten lost. A few other vendors we deal with are having the same problems. None of this has had to do with ground, but 2 customers that have been getting overnight packages from us for years have had them go missing in the last 2 weeks. Kinda wierd yeah?
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hmm. I bet I've shipped 100 items. Most all UPS Ground. I've never had a problem, nothing lost, nothing damaged. I think the most I've paid is $25 to ship a heavy bass in a hard case.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've always found shipping from a UPS hub to be cheaper than anything else.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whether I go UPS or FedEx Ground I always ship from the hub. Compare to FedEx next time you're shipping ground.

brad cook
  8. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Around my parts, here's how it breaks down: UPS tends to break your items while FedEx just plain loses them.
    FWIW, my guitarist works for UPS as a loader/unloader. If you ask me, the hiring of a guitarist for such labor should be a crime itself.
  9. I did the rates on what it would take me to ship a 2 foot by 2 foot box of packing peanuts once. It was insane. UPS was asking like $130, fedex was about $75 and DHL was $16 or so. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the price spread was about even. Thats just wrong.
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    UPS is a terrible, terrible place
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I shipped my SX monday, and the shipping cost was 62$... packing was another 32.
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Seems to me that UPS has gone up a bunch lately. When I sold my epifani 3x10, it cost me well over $100 (forget the exact amount) for US ground shipping.
  13. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. I got out at the right time. Their earnings for 4th quarter in 2004 wasn't what they expected, so they had to raise prices.
  14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    UPS shipping cost have gone completely through the roof!!
    What used to cost $10 is now more like $25...Absurd.

15. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I wonder if there is a DHL place around here. I have never had a problem with FedEx ground. Always inexpensive and non-abusive.
  16. Hmm, I remember something about DHL starting to do non-business shipping. I don't know if I have one in my area though, so I didn't even think about it. That might have been a good idea if it's even cheaper. I just never thought about it.
  17. I've had nothing but problems with UPS.

Back when I lived in California for a year, I shipped a package to my parents in Montana. UPS assured me it would arrive at my parents' door in 5-7 days. Three weeks later it finally arrived, after bouncing around between Louisville, KY, Billings, MT, and Commerce City, CO, and sitting for a week in Commerce City, CO.

Now I ship everything FedEx and never had a problem.
  18. Wasn't UPS' slogan:
    "Like I Care"
    for a very, very brief time?
  19. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've shipped many large items (including about 6 basses) via FedEx Ground without a single problem. It's cheaper and, typically, faster than UPS ground by a day. Depending on destination, I've paid only $12 to $20 to ship a bass within the US.

Edit: I should add that I go directly to the local FedEx location, not an authorized shipping partner.

20. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Check their website. I have one near me and I am in the middle of nowhere wisconsin!