Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UPS just delivered my Basis M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vegaas, Apr 16, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Wow, I was just paging thru the owners manual, in it Mesa actually says it could take you years to find and master all of the different sounds!
    I believe, there is alot to this thing. I know for a fact I wont find my perfect sound for at least a couple of months.
    Anyone here have any suggestions?
    I play alt-metal, like deep and punchy at the same time. I play finger style as well as a little slap and pop.
    My instruments are a Warwick Thumb B/O and an Ibanez EDC.
    Speakers, Both Ampeg Classic Series, SVT115E and SVT210HE.
    Thanks,
    Vegaas

2. Tube-amp setting with 9 band EQ set thus:

0 +4 -2 -1 -5 -2 -1 +2 +3 :D

Or

Everything flat.

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's my main setting:

Channel: Tube

Bright: off

Gain: As high as you want it (I set it somewhere between 11:00 and 2:00

Treble: Again, to taste (1:00ish for me)

Mids: maxed out. This is the main thing for me. Everything else can be adjusted to shaper the general sound, but for fingerstyle rock/metal, it needs to be goosed.

Bass: 10-11:00

Master: maxed

Graphic EQ: Depends on the room. When I do use it, it's to control the lows (in conjuction with the compressor). Sometimes I'll boost the 600 and 1.2k bands (and/or cut 300 Hz) a bit to cut through more.

Compressor: Almost always off. (Again, depending on the room, sometimes I'll put it on the 3:1 ratio with a reasonably high threshold and set the freq. knob around 10:00 to help control excess lows/low mids)

Output: As high as you can stand. :D

I use these settings with a 4x10 and a 1x15.

Those are pretty much my standard settings. I'll adjust them a little bit depending on the room, mainly with the graphic EQ, as I barely touch the rotary EQ knobs. If I do fiddle around with one of them, it's always the bass, because sometimes it can be over powering. I usually leave the gain up pretty high, but I do turn it down when I'm playing in a smaller setting with only the 4x10, as the overdriven tone is much more prevalent then.

Hope this helps.

4. Mine:
    I tend to use the Passive input more often for the extra grind.

Graphic EQ's off - I use them to adjust for the acoustics of the room.
    tube:
    (numbers based on 1 being totally to the left, 10 being furthest to the right. 5 being 12 o'clock)
    gain 7
    Bass: 8
    Mid: 8
    Treb: 3
    master: (to match the fet side)
    bright switch on.
    no compression

FET:
    Level to taste
    Treb: 4
    Mid: 4
    Bass: 8
    Bass freq: almost to lowest
    Contour to lowest
    bright switch on.
    Compressor on 5:1, freq set to about 10-11 o'clock, threshold fairly heavy to engage at just above soft attack. (I use this channel for dub and/or ballad type things

Mix: 50%

Congrats on the new head, you've made a great choice! i hope this helps.

Aside: when I had the SVT classic cabs, I had to cut the lows, as it overloaded the cabs and got really ugly at moderate to hi volumes. The sealed cabs and this head are nto well suited to each other. JMHO.

5. your SWR settings dont apply here! :D

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    not78pbass makes a good point with his mix settings: when you want a huge bottom end added to the tube sound, mix in some of the fet channel with the lows goosed (the semi-parametric bass controls really help). It can really make your sound huge.

7. Fieldy of Korn use a M-2000 and that's his EQ. :D

8. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I have the same cabinets. I need a tube head though:( Congrats on the Mesa, thats a killer amp!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just LOVE all the options on the M-2000. Seriously. I like the little micro-toggles, knobs, EQ, everything. I almost bought one 7 or 8 years ago, because I just KNEW my tone was in there. How could it not be? But, I figured I'd best futz around with it in the store for a while to see if I could get close to it. Two hours later, I still wasn't close to anything I couldn't live without, tone-wise. There was a little Eden WT-300 sitting next to it, so I plugged in, and WHAM! Set everything flat, adjust the Enhance to taste, voila! My tone.

Eden ever since. You bring over your M-2000, get your best tone, and I'll match it. Then I'll improve on it. I haven't done a heavy "Eden Rules" thing in a while but, rest assured, Eden definitely (note correct spelling) rules. RULES!

There. That oughtta hold you little bastriches for another week.

10. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Munji, you only tested the M-2000 for like 2 hours. I believe everyone who purchases the M-2000 should understand that you may not find your sound automatically.

Its like you going to Purchase a High-End Mixer(Maybe even a cheaper Mixer) and thinking that wintin a couple hours you will come out with a Music Industry Worthy Mix..
    Thats ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Its great that you can plug into your Eden and with in a couple minutes have your Sound, but i bet i can Access any of your Sounds and more.I have an Understanding that I am in this thing(M-2000) for the Long Haul...:bassist:

11. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey vegaas, what do you think about the Price??

Make sure you get to know what all the switches and knobs do..Im happy you chose this amp..:cool:

12. It took me about 30 seconds to find a great tone. within 5 minutes, I had the thing do all of my "dream" tones.

Admittedly, It doesnt do the ultra clean really well (ie: Aforementioned Eden, Pre+poweramp ALA' Demeter/avalon) but thats not its market. it was made to give the svt to swr rock players a greater palette of big tones.

But moreso than most heads, I have found that it's hindered by most cabinets, the Mesa's included. My m2000 sounds best thru an Eden XLT, Ag Gs112, SWR GIII and the like.

$.02 deposited.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, it's kind of like buying a new pair of shoes. If they don't feel good the first time I put 'em on my feet, they're not going home.

I have enough experience with amps that I should be able to find a decent sound within five minutes. Two hours with no decent sound is a strong indication to me that they're not in there. I did allow the possibility that the problem was with that sucky Mesa cab I was playing through, however.

My belief is that, much like the Carvin amps, there are just too many gimmicks on the M-2000. It's like having a 28-speed bicycle. The ratios are so close together, many overlapping between front and rear sprocket changes, that most of the gears are superfluous ... much like the gewgaws on your M-2000. Don't let it get you down, though. How can I possibly be objective, eh?

14. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Munji, I love your posts! They always make me laugh. I like Eden as well, but for the price (Mesa discontinued the M-2000 so it was selling $999.00) and what I was looking for, I couldnt pass it up.
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it all.
    As someone had mentioned, this amp is for the long haul, it will take me awhile to get the sound I want.

15. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    QTwaXQ,
    Were the tubes on your Basis wrapped in mesh that you had to take off?
    Mine has an orange tag that says they are, but Micheal at Mesa told me to ignore that.
    Also, I cant believe there are like 25 screws you have to take off to even get to the tubes.

16. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    No Mesh here. I took mine out and hooked it to my Cab and Played.