UPS lost my GS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkmonkey, May 3, 2002.

1. I ordered a GS112 from Bassworld in Louisville this past Monday. Well,it's still not here and it is supposed to be a 1 day shipment,since I live in southern Ohio. Well,I have a tracking number,and when I check it on the website it just says "billing information received". There are no scans of it being received or anything. It says that it was to be shipped to me on May 2nd. I called UPS and they are tracing the package,but don't know where it is. They say that a trace can take up to 8 business days. I am starting to worry. Not to mention that I don't have anything to play through right now. :mad:
    Has anyone else had bad luck with UPS?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I know that Gard and the boys at Bass Central have a MAJOR issue with UPS, so much so that they almost refuse to ship UPS....they'd rather spend the extra on FedEx than trust UPS to deliver a bass.

Personally, I didn't have a problem per-say, but my bass did come with hunk of finish missing next to the bridge strap pin, and the box was pretty beat up. Other than than that, I've never had to deal with them.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if it was shipped ground the only scans that usually show up on the site are the departure scan and the arrival at destination scan. just because it hasnt scanned doesnt mean its lost.
  4. Well,that's my point,there are no scans. No departure scan,etc. It only says "billing information received". The people at UPS said that they were trying to find it. That it hadn't been scanned so they don't know where it is. As far as they know,it hasn't even been picked up. To me(and to the people at Bass World) that means it's lost or something to that effect. I'm sure it will get here though. (I keep telling my self this...)
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've gotten to the point that I just accept this as the nature of the beast. According to their tracker, my F bass arrived Wednesday and was out on delivery, meaning on a truck. I hung around waiting for it to be delivered COD. At 6:00pm, no delivery. Went on line and it showed an exception. Called customer service, they couldn't find out what the exception was, they'd call back within an hour. I called them an hour and a half later and found that they said there was something wrong with the information.

Long story short, I received it and found out the problem this time was that for some reason they thought the bass was prepaid... so they wouldn't deliver it. They have no idea why they thought that. At least I got the bass.

My favorite is still the Elrick that was headed here in Maryland from Wisconsin that went off on a mysterious journey through a state that was not on the way and disappeared off the tracker radar. They (UPS) actually told me to contact them if I heard anything.
  6. I've had a lot more issues with FedEx than I have with UPS. I've had a few basses shipped UPS, and all of them have shown up with the boxes in near-perfect condition. I've had computer parts shipped FedEx and on more than one occasion they've been delivered to the wrong house (like 1-2 streets over at a completely different address). I live in the middle of a subdivision, and it's extremely easy to find my place. I dunno what the deal is.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Just last week, FedEx Ground "misplaced" my GS112 I BIN'd on Ebay. They got as far as my office building, and then gave it to one of the Restaurants on the same level as our Mail Room.

Apparently, Fed Ex Ground hs a strict policy of bass cabs needing to be quarantined in a store room with canned tomatoes for two days...

From what I understand, Fed Ex Air is safe. But, I'm sure someone has a horror story for them, too. I've actually been lucky with UPS.

I hope they find your cab. Hopefully, it just got pushed back in the corner of the warehouse.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if at all possible, i'll drive out to the store and buy straight from the dealer, especially if its tube based stuff. too many UPS/Fedex disasters. with Guitar Villa, G Guitars, Rudy's, Bass Boutique, all nearby, i have a pretty good selection. after all my experiences, i'd rather just haggle with all 4 of them, and go out and pay the tax. at least what i hear in the store is what i'll get at home. :D
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never had a problem shipping w/UPS. I've sold about 20-30 basses & bought about 15-20 on eBay, shipped them all over the country & so far, I'm batting 1.000. No damages, no lost packages. Thank goodness. :)
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Ooh, you're gonna get it now:eek:
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think anything can happen with all of them. I've had mostly good UPS experiences, never had a discrepancy between what the online status said and what happened. Besides I'm practically on a first-name basis with the UPS deliver guy! :)

You want horror stories? (no bass involved):

A friend of mine had his luggage lost by an airline on his way back home. After a week? or so, they found it, and said they were shipping it to him. When more time went by and he didn't get it, he called the shipper (don't remember who), and at first they weren't too helpful. Finally he got from them that the delivery truck, parked behind the warehouse, had been stolen! They never got his stuff back (luckily mostly clothes, although that included his favorite pair of boots :) ).
  12. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I received almost every part in the process of rebuilding my '67 Cougar through UPS and Fedex without ever having a problem. Just recently I've received/returned my Acme cabinets, sent in a Ric for warranty work and got it back, got both my new Mesa cabs and my Ampeg SVP-Pro through UPS and Fedex all with no issues.:eek:
  13. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    UPS once exchanged the recipient's last name with the street name!!?? on something that I sold through ebay. When I asked for a tracking number they gave me the wrong one. (I had to get the package picked up when I was not at home so I didn't get a tracking # at pickup). The name and address were clearly marked in large black letters- I have no idea how they could have screwed it up. The package was shipped back to me. I called to have it re-sent and they did it no charge. I have used UPS many times and this was the only mistake. I think that they are a good service but in an organization that big you are going to have more than a few complete morons who are going to screw things up.
  14. i had my fender shipped through ups and it came out fine. BUT i had my lowrider bike shipped through ups and it took like 3 weeks and they delivered it too the wrong address!!
    also my older brother had his washburn(the dimebolt american made one not the cheapo) and it came fine, but he also had his truck parts through ups and his carpet was supposed to be black but it was "sand" instead, but thats just factory messups
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!!:D I was thinking the same exact thing when I clicked on the "Sumit Reply" button.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I had my nemesis shipped UPS. It arrived at my house on time... but it had a nice big dent in the grill... no damage to the speakers so i didn't bother with it.. just popped out the dent myself and all was well.. I had a bass upsed to me and all was great...
  18. Yeah, that post didn't make any sense.

I'm deleting it.
  19. atlas

Feb 13, 2002
    UPS is better than Fedex ground but not that much better. Both ground carriers stink at items over a certain size and certain weight. 70 lbs is about the most you want to get most things shipped UPS unless its boxed very, very well. Even if its insured, if they don't think it was packed very well they won't pay the claim. Fedex ground once broke something of ours and it took 4 months to get the claim paid and about 10 phone calls. That was back when they first bought RPS out though so it may be better now. Fedex Air service is pretty awesome, only 1 problem in 8 years of using them. Like someone else said though, with companies that big there are bound to be messups and bad employees from time to time.

There aren't too many mom and pop or local package couriers than can compete though is there.
  20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, ups has been good to me again. my epifani 2x10 was delivered from jersey to my house in california and it came perfect. the box was even still in pretty good shape.