UPS lost my new bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Knavery, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all -
    I recently ordered a bass from Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin. They used UPS ground and it was supposed to be delivered on Saturday, 9/1. The status that day said "Out for Delivery". You can see it was scanned in the facility and left the facility via another scan around 8:45 AM. I never received the package. It actually still says "Out for Delivery" and to expect it at the end of the day on 9/1. I emailed UPS and got a response back saying that we should consider the package lost.

I went to file a claim and noticed that only $100 was placed on the item as a value. Then I thought maybe I shouldn't be the one to make the claim. Dave's Guitars should.

What recourse do I have here? Has anyone went through this? I didn't use PayPal, but my CC over the phone. Though I was emailed a receipt. I've emailed Dave's a couple of times, but didn't hear back. They could just be enjoying the long weekend. Though, I'm a little scared of being out $1500 bucks.

Ellery, EatS1stBassist and eottjake like this.
  2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    The contract for shipping is between the seller and UPS. The seller would need to file a loss claim.

Considering it's a major 3-day holiday weekend, I don't think you should panic yet. Wait and see what happens Tuesday. If you don't have the item or at least a plausible explanation by EOD Tuesday, contact your credit card company.

Hang on to any and all related paperwork etc.

Ellery, MattZilla, basscapes and 25 others like this.
  3. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks. That was my thought as well. I did email the folks at Dave's Guitars as well. They're really the ones responsible for making this right and I'll wait to hear back from them. But $100.00 value on a $1500.00 bass? insurance is cheap. Why would they do that?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Couple of things occur to me

UPS Ground doesn’t normally deliver on Saturdays. Unless they’ve change their policies. To get Saturday deliver you have to use UPS Select or something like that.

Is a delivery signature required?

It would be insane not to insure a $1500 instrument.

Your credit card is your best ally if the shipment is actually lost.

I bet it shows up Tuesday. :)

Value-Added Service Pricing for Retail Rates: UPS

tekhedd, Aqualung60, bunkaroo and 8 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The bass still might show up but you shouldn't be talking to ups. Dealing with them isn't your problem. I believe that 100 is a default number that comes up unless you specify more. But regardless, either the bass shows up or the business owes you the full purchase price. Assuming they're reputable it shouldn't be a problem. If it is than you dispute the charge. Easy peasy.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You won't lose any money if UPS lost your bass. If Dave's won't refund or replace, file a claim with your CC. IIRC, you have 45 days from the time you paid. Check with your CC company for their rules and regulations.

However, if there was no delivery the 45 days may be waived. I know this because I pre-paid for a bass that wasn't delivered for about 4 months because of changes made during the build.

I filed a claim with my CC company after receiving the bass and proving to them with my paper work that the transaction wasn't complete even though more than 45 days had past.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The shipping services sometimes use USPS for "last mile" delivery. So, a Saturday delivery is not unthinkable. I've had situations where the shipper handed it over to USPS, who tried to deliver it on Saturday but couldn't (e.g., at my business address), and it took USPS a couple days to work out the kinks, but I got my stuff.

So I hope you get your bass. ;)

mindwell likes this.
  8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks much everyone. Dave personally emailed me and let me know that they self insure and that they'll put a trace on the bass. If it gets lost, they'll replace it. I'm glad to hear they'll take care of me without any fuss, but given their reputation, I'm not surprised. I got freaked out at the response from UPS.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's good the seller is making this right but if they wanted go be douches about it the CC dispute is a slam dunk.

EatS1stBassist and basspraiser like this.
  10. UPS lost my 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 (MD1582) eleven years ago and refused to pay the insurance claim even though I had my receipt of purchase as proof. Took me a year of fighting with them and only after I got to the President of the Canadian UPS Operations and told him what his people were doing did they settle the claim. I never did get my bass back it's still missing.

They were absolute bastards to deal with!!! I haven't shipped anything with USP since and never will again.

Sounds like it's going to be Dave's Guitars who will have to do battle for you since they are the shipper and you're the consignee, but regardless good luck.

TD

11. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks even worse than my situation. UPS is a horrible company. I've read countless stories about them screwing people over even when proof is provided to UPS that THEY lost the package. I have a feeling that UPS believes that most people don't have the resources to fight a claim, and will just drop it if denied. Like you, I wouldn't. In my case, you can see by the scans, that UPS had their hands on it, and then it was lost. It's documented in black and white. I honestly don't know how something like that can be disputed. I'd make the loudest ruckus I could. I'd Reddit it, Tweet it, email everyone in their company, etc. There's no way I'd let that go.

12. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    All shippers will deny deny deny. It’s the consignor’s fault. Poor packing. Label fell off. No delivery signature required. No visual proof of what was shipped.

If the item has any value, make sure you the consignor have clear photos of the item, the packing, and the labeling.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, "lost", to me, means stolen, especially when the shipper is a music store shipping a guitar case shaped object (and tracking it)!

I wonder if Dave's Guitars used Dave's Funeral Supplies as a shipping name would have less "lost" items.

14. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it's certainly not a bad practice to start if this is the new norm.

15. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    The argument for paying a UPS Store extra to do the packing etc is if the item is ”lost” or damaged, it’s automatically their fault.

Full Disclosure: I only follow my own advice if the item is worth more than, say, a few hundred $$.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Bet it shows up Tuesday

17. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I suspect it will show up, things get balled up all the time- sometimes in reverse. I have an Ebay package that was delivered months ago that still is marked as "in transit" if you look up the shipping status.

18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've never purchased anything from Dave's, but one of the guys I've played with for years has bought lots of guitars from them. Everyone else that I know who has purchased gear from them have been very happy with their service and honesty. I bet they'll work with you if there is a problem that was caused by anyone in their organization. Because this is a holiday weekend, I wouldn't worry yet and I think that you'll end up okay regardless of what happens.

19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I bought from Daves a few years back. Super legit place. They will take care of you.

20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I get stuff from UPS all the time, mostly from Amazon. Often the delivery date isn't the date it's actually delivered, and sometimes "out for delivery" means it's been assigned a truck for delivery and may still be sitting in the UPS facility. We in Alaska depend extensively on couriers for most of the stuff we get every day because we live on an island. We've always had excellent service and our products have always arrived intact. Including USPS and FedEx. Now for some reason we may be the exception to the norm because this is a small town and all the couriers live locally with their families.

I'll bet tomorrow your bass will show up. Please update us on the outcome, I'm betting it's due to the long weekend.
    Good luck! :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021