Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UPS lost my new (used) bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisp2u, Oct 10, 2005.

1. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I am bummin'. Just got off the phone with a UPS rep and the Gecko5 that I won on ebay and was expecting to show up today appears to be "Lost in Transit". Ugh. The last time it was scanned was when it arrived in Hodgkins, IL... and apparently never departed from there.

Soooo...not much I can do now since apparently only the shipper can initiate an investigation (which I'm guessing he will-- seems like a decent guy). Anyway, anyone else around here ever experience with something like this? What was the outcome?

Oh yeah, and if anyone just happens to see a Warmoth Gecko5 with Villex pickups in the Hodgkins, IL area, let me know...
    ---
    Chris

2. Mysticflame

Mysticflame

Feb 8, 2005
    Bummer man. :scowl: I guess someone at the post office got jelous of your new/used bass. Good luck retreiving it.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Sorry to hear that, I hope they find it for you.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Boy do I feel for you!! Back in 1990 I was playing in Reno and was waiting for my new Alembic to be delievered to me. Long story short...UPS lost it!! They lost a $4k bass!!! And to piss me off even more, I got on the phone with UPS's customer service. They told they would look into it and I should call back in ten minutes. Ten minutes later I call back and get a message, sorry the office is now closed!! Those *******!!!!

Well they did find it.....in Oakland Cal!! I can see how you can mix up Oakland with Reno!! :meh: At least I finally did get it.

I hope yours turns out just as well.....

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The UPS facility in IL is massive, and it's not uncommon for things to spend an extra day or two there. Keep checking on the tracking system, and call customer service at least once a day to see what they find.

At FedEx, I think the policy has recently changed so that either the shipper or recipient can file a claim. You might want to check on that with UPS (don't just assume you can't file a claim).

Good luck!

6. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case (just misplaced in the shuffle)... I'll keep harrassing them for sure.

The rep told me that I couldn't file the claim... that was the first thing I asked as I would have done it right then... she said that it had to be filed by the shipper. Granted many people (that ship) are probably decent enough to help you out, but I could see how someone less compassionate may not... after all, they already have your money. Seems like a pretty odd policy to not let either party file... I mean it's pretty obvious who lost it in this case-- it's not like it's any type of fraud by the receiving party or anything.

Oh well... we'll see what comes of it. Hopefully it works out as well as ClassicJazz's ordeal.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    well, UPS didn't "loose" my package, the just... "overlooked" it.

I had 2 boxes coming that day,, a tuner, and my bass.. the tuner was obviously in a much smaller box, and the bass was in a box about 5 feet long....

it made it's way onto the truck, and I saw it said out for delivery, so I waited and waited, finally around 2 oclock the UPS dude came to the door but only had one little package (the tuner), so I figured they had another truck that carried the bigger packages, since he was in a smaller truck.

so needless to say, the stupid truck driver, even though his computer said 2 packages... "overloocked" my 5 foot box sitting in the back of his truck.......

To make things worse, it was on friday,

so I called UPS and she said she couldn't do anything about it becuase it was in a trailer somewhere... she said it was in the back, on the bottom of a storage trailer.. that made me feel real great, that my new bass was under a bunch of other boxes.

anyways, since it was a holiday weekend i had to wait till tuesday to get the bass.

needless to say, I was pissed off at that truck driver...

8. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    The important thing is at least now you know where it is and it will soon be yours. Enjoy it!!

9. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
  10. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    i missed my UPS delivery for my bass on a friday as well and had to wait till tuesday because monday is our thanksgiving :bawl:

but we're all glad that you know the bass will be with you shortly