Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UPS Shipping damage [PICS]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Korey, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    Hey guys. I bought a used SX jazz on eBay 2 weeks ago, and after some trouble with the seller getting it shipped, I finally received the bass on Friday. The box was pretty well mangled, and when I popped that baby open, there was a pretty good crack on the back of the headstock. I removed the strings and the tuners to 1) get better pics of the damage and 2) relieve the tension on the headstock so the damage wouldn’t get worse. My question to you is: is it worth fixing. If so, how much do you think it’s worth claiming? (It was insured) I only paid a little over $100 for the bass, but I don’t want to ditch it, I really dig the finish (like a fender's translucent gold) and the maple fretboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :-\! Such a nice SX too!

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    From its placement and its size, it looks like it could be kind of hard to repair, though I don't have experience with how much it would cost to do so. You could always buy a new neck for it.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Was the bass packaged good?

5. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    It was wrapped in bubble wrap, then boxed in a appropriate sized box then filled with peanuts. It was packed by the UPS store.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Then you should have no problems getting the insurance claim.

I always double box my basses when shipping, I have a friend who works at UPS and he has told me some horro stories!

7. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    That could be patched up using a syringe of epoxy or superglue. It would be kinda weak from there on in, but better off than it is now. How much insurance did you put on the package? And do you get to keep the item if you submit? If so, you may as well claim it.

8. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    I'm nor real sure how it works. I was hoping for some experiance on here. I did an online form describing the damage. The buyer insured it for up to $200 i think. How does all of this work?

9. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Contact UPS. Tell'em they busted up your shi...stuff, and that it was insured. They'll tell you what to do from there.

You kept all the packing slips and such from the packadge, right?

10. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, the shipper not the receiver is supposed to make the claim for damage.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sorry to hear about your bass... That looks like a really nice one.

Is that a stock finish color for SX basses? I don't think I've ever seen one in that color. I don't recall ever seeing one with block inlays, either.

12. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    I thinks it's older. I've never seen that finnish either. Thats why I jumped on it. i didnt really have the money, but you know how that goes.

But.... The seller is supposed to do the form? I'll let the guy know. Thanks

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Miraculously, I've never had a claim. It is my understanding the seller does initiate the claim. It is fortunate UPS packed it. I've never heard of them yielding a partial claim - like for repairs and seems like you got to the keep the goods and the insurance claim.

But they probably have a time line for reporting the incident and filing a claim so I wouldn't jack with that, you can always change your mind.

It's a no no to double post but I'd have stuck the issue of how salvageable the bass is in the Luthiers forum. I've read post about them saying the headstock could be snapped off and properly repaired but it may not be worth the cost - don't know but they will.

Good Luck

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rondo Music will fix you with a new neck for 40. Not worth any other kind of hassle IMHO.
    Then, you can still sell the old neck on eBay. It will go.
    I'd make the claim based on a Warmoth neck though. :)

15. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I have been doing UPS and Fed Ex shipping, mostly receiving, for many years.

Here is a trick that makes life much easier:

If the box/package is mangled, refuse to accept the item.

If the box was left at your door without your signature, be sure to tell the person at UPS that you never signed for it.

What will this do? It will remove you from the loop of claims adjustment negotiations.

DO NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE if it is damaged under any circumstances, unless you wish to go round and round with the claims adjustment people and tie up your capital for a month or two, at least.

DO NOT SIGN FOR AND ACCEPT A DAMAGED PACKAGE. That places the claims negotiations on your shoulders and not the shippers.

Sorry to see that your bass is so mangled. Yes, the headstock is fixable with aliphatic wood glue and some clamps/rubber bands. Be sure to wipe off any wood glue with a damp rag/paper towel before it sets.

Artisan

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Good piece. Hopefully will never need it but may save some grief down the road.

17. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    I think, because of the value of the bass, I'm going to look into fixing it myself. I'm pretty confident in the skills I'll need. A bound, maple fretboard maple neck is $250 from warmoth, $315 from allparts. Rondo doesn't have one, neither does mighty mite. I bought the thing because of the looks of the bound, maple board and the trapezoid inlays. Anyone seen a thread about fixing a problem like this in any of the forums here?

Thanks for all of your help dudes.

18. >.< I just shipped out an SX a couple days ago,im keeping my fingers crossed.

19. If it's a bolt on, taking off the neck helps keep it from breaking.

20. Chaz

Chaz

Sep 11, 2004
    An identical bass sold on e-bay a few days ago.