1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UPS sucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by uaudio, Mar 23, 2009.

1. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    OK, here's some venting.

Friday my brand new Mesa Powerhouse 2x12 showed up with a huge dent where the cab had been dropped on an edge. That's in addition to the used Big Block head that arrived a few months ago with a capacitor broken off the board in transit. But don't forget the M-Audio Axiom keyboard that came in December, missing a chunk of box and you could see the partially destroyed keyboard inside.

So that's over $2,000 worth of gear that UPS has had to reimburse sellers. And a huge inconvenience to me. Especially with a special order Mesa cab - waiting another month or so.

A friendly reminder to always insure your packages.

2. I feel your pain...and trust me its not just Ups

3. That is why I always insure important things I ship.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    At least they paid. UPS will always fight you first before they pay, but they usually do pay.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Every delivery method has damage and problems... Shipping is russian roulette.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    They lost my vintage April 1973 Rickenbacker Burgundyglo 4001 (Ser # MD 1582 if you see it PM me) and case on me and then refused to pay the insurance claim. Took me a year of fighting with them to settle my claim, but only after I contacted the company president and told him what I thought of his company and how poorly they treat their customers did they admitted they were wrong.

Never again will I use UPS for anything!

TD

7. UPS delivered my Carvin combo a couple weeks ago. My wife was home and the delivery guy even offered to set it inside the door due to the size and weight of the box. It was in perfect condition. Now before you think I'm defending UPS, I work for FedEx! So I'm always going to prefer FedEx and recommend it to everyone. I've had more bad experiences with UPS than any other shipping company overall though.

8. oh man.... I just bought a DB 750 from a fellow TBer and he should be shipping it Fedx this week. Now I'm going to have stomach ulcers for days:atoz:

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    He said UPS up there. FedEx is better, way better... I've used them for more than 100 shipping services with only one minor problem...

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Any time I ship something, I try to pack it to withstand holding it over my head and repeatedly slamming it down as hard as I can... cause I figure thats prety much what shippers do.

11. yeah, seen that, but working in big warehouses in the past, "FRAGILE" translates to "TOSS UNDERHAND LIGHTLY" :scowl:

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I worked for a whopping two weeks for UPS as an unloader. The standard method for unloading a truck was to start unloading in the center of the wall of packages and jump the hell out of the way when the ones on top fell. If you ship UPS, you need to assume that your package will fall from a height of around 8 feet multiple times and pack it accordingly. There's no telling what other damages could have occured at other spots on the conveyor belt line.... :scowl:

I will say that if you need to use UPS, give serious consideration to shipping air. At least when I was there about 12 years ago (damn I'm getting old), the air stuff was babied while the fragile stuff was not. They babied the air stuff not because they gave a crap about the packages, but because all the air stuff is loaded into these air containers that fit neatly into their planes. Those containers are about a dozen or so feet across and follow the curve of the planes body. Those containers are expensive and UPS doesn't want to need to replace them. All the air stuff was treated with kid gloves because all the employees were scared to damage those containers.

Incidentally, UPS was one crappy job.

13. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I just sent a Dingwall Z2 4 string to a guy in Houston, TX via UPS ground. This bass was shipped in a hardshell case, it was double boxed, with a tight fitting box inside of looser box, with those air packs between the two boxes. I even used a soft old cotton shirt to ensure a snug but soft fit for the bass inside the case, so it had only minimal ability to slide around inside the case.

The bass arrived today, and had apparently experienced such a shock during its journey (probably a fall from a significant height to concrete) that there was a 3" crack in the body (a solid piece of ash BTW) 2 " above the bridge where your arm overhangs. When the buyer opened the case, the magnetic battery compartment was not only jarred loose from the back of the bass, it was sitting on top of the bass!

Freakin' a$$ holes. I only insured for the purchase price per the buyer's instruction. Now I guess the fight ensues.:mad:

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Fed Ex is every bit as bad as anyone else. Out of the Thousands of Packages I have recieved Fed Ex has been the top destroyer for me.

I've raised so much heck with them I think they Play Hockey with my Packages before they deliver them. I allways let the Vendor sort it out if they want to continue to be that.:D

15. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I just wish I could pay a little extra for the "seriously, guys, this box really is fragile" service. On a good note though, I haven't lost anything from any of these transactions other than wasted time.

16. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    It is true the UPS and other delivery companies can rough stuff up, but it is up to the seller to package the item for safe travel.

If it isn't properly packed, its going to get cracked.

Think about it this way... can your package survive a 6 foot fall? Considering conveyor belts and loading docks that tall it is a possibility and should be weighed in your packing and insurance.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I met a guy who worked for UPS. He said if you're shipping something, it'd better be able to survive a 2 story fall as sometimes **** happens.

18. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    My biggest problem with UPS/FedEx is not damage (maybe I've been lucky) but the horrible locations and hours of the pickup windows.
    I live in the city and am never around during the day. The packages can't just be left by my door without getting stolen. So if I HAVE to have something shipped by them, I end up driving about an hour round trip to go pick it up myself. Lucky I have a car...

Then there was the time I called Fed Ex to ask when I could pick up my package. Turns out the person on the phone was wrong and didn't know that there were just 2 TWO HOUR windows each day when I could pick anything up! I drive all that way and the *** security guard tells me I can't get my package and have to come back later in the day!

Needless to say, I try very very hard to only buy things if they can be shipped with the US Postal Service. Then I just trot on down the street to the LOCAL office where I can happily pick up my package.

Sorry for the rant.....

19. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I have shipped many basses via UPS and so far, no problems. A lot of the potential problems can easily be avoided if shippers simply pack the product correctly with lots of packing material. Shipping cabinets is hard because they are very heavy and can easily get damaged if dropped in transit.

I ordered a bass from a fellow TB'er that shipped Federal Express and is due to be delivered tomorrow. Let's see how it arrives!!

20. I shipped approx. 25 pkgs last year (amp heads, basses, etc.) all through FedEx and not one got damaged...

I received 8 pkgs from UPS, (basses, amps, cabs) every one of them was damaged and a few had giant holes punched through the box

when receiving an item, we have no say in how it gets packed...