Upscale amp for around $1k

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Sep 13, 2005.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up?

Today i went down to washington music center and tried out the following amps, I was looking in the 600 dollar range.

1. Ampeg B2R (very thin and sterile, not my style)
    2.Hartke 3500 (tube section sounds nice, crappy knobs)

I wanted to try a GK 700RB-II but they said their tryout model was blown and theyd rather not sell me a GK because of their tendency to break. (they said the new gk's were crap). Well i tried all of their amps and all of them in my price range sounded crappy. So im looking to up my rig to something more powerful with a better tone. My current rig is a Fender Bassman 400 (BDDI as preamp) and Avatar 410 delta. Not getting good tone

I was consideringg
    Ampeg SVT-6 , SVT-4 or SVT-2 (pro versions)
    Ashdown ABM 500 evo

I want an amp that sounds warm and punchy. Thats it.
    (maybe avatar x-over has something to do with it?)

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I would definetly check out a gallien krueger 1001 rb-II the newer models to my knowledge rock, and I have no idea what the guys at that music store are taLking about when they say GK amps blow.

There are loads of guys on TB that will back me up when I say GK is a solid company.

But anyways, I would also check out that ashdown and eden.

Best of Luck

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Add the Traynor YBA-200 to that list, its just about the warmest amp in your price range with 200 all tube watts, which should be plenty loud. Also add the Kustom Groovebass, as many people swear by it. Finally, GK is a reliable company to my knowledge. Its not my prefrence, as its not really built to be warm. But it packs a helluva punch.
  4. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    First off G-K amps and cabs kick ass. Mine has performed great and lots of other TBers will say the same thing. If you are looking for tube booty however why not go SVT-CL and 8-10? Your back will love you for it and all of the guitar players will swoon at your new found ability to cut through what ever mess they have gotten themselves into. Of course YMMV.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    GK 1001RB-II and a Neo 212 cabinet, shipped from riks music is $1170 (last time I got a quote). I don't feel this combination can be beat for the money, though some may disagree because they favor a different sound thant the GK can really do.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is he asking for an Amp and Cab for under 1k or just an upscale amp for 1k or less? I got the impression he's looking for just a head. My 2 cents.

If you want something that's a great head, by a great company that doesn't have "EXTREME" amounts of power,

Get this AG500
    This will sound great in virtually all settings. Very plug and play great.

or this if you want a little more freedom to mold the sound.

DB680 if you want the best Pre-Amp Money can Buy IMHO
    This is an incredible deal by the way, it would be mine already if I didn't already own one. And after, buy a power amp.

Kern IP-777 another awesome Pre if you like the idea of a pre-power

Those last bunch were really great for Rock especially. They have that nice thick tuby sound. However if you want something a bit more "Hi-Fi", try the Euphonic Audio Iamp800 or the Epifani UL-502.

The important thing is try before you buy. I've heard good things about the Ashdown too. I've played the GK 1001rb, and I don't like it much. My friend uses it with his band and it just doesn't sound right to me.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah he COULD have gotten that head i I just hadn't have bought it!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :eek: ;) :D
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm SURE GK will be thrilled to know one of their dealers is running down their product. (You see that Daniel?)

Actually, you have SO many great choices in that price range, it is staggering. The GK gear is ONE of those great choices. I used a 1001RBII for quite a while, and loved its versatility and power. I never had ANY problem with it.

If I were you, (and it appears you found this out), I'd stay away from lower end Ampeg, and ALL Hartke gear. IMHO, both are pretty much crap. (And I LOVE some of Ampegs better stuff....but the B series ain't among the better stuff!)

Of the amps you listed, my preference in order would be

SVT II
    Eden WT 550

All three great amps though

You may also want to look at upgrading cabs.
  9. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Me, too! If it's just an amp head, I suggest the Ashdown ABM500 Evo-II (check out they have 'em listed for $899)... or you can fly over here to Honolulu and get a lot of heads over on Hotel Street for 1K... :D
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Does GK know how their products are (not) being sold? Just curious.

I know lots of people who use GK.

I use Thunderfunk.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My mistake, I thought he was looking for a full amp/cab setup for $1000.
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I really like my Eden WT-550. I have it paired with a Bergantino HT112. Great little rig. Great tone, loud and portable.
  13. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    yeah i dunno what kinda drugs that salesmen was on to bash one of the products they sell... especially a product that has the exact opposite reputation of what he told you. for some reason salesmen always push ampeg for the sale. of course youll soon fine most salesmen know less about bass gear then someone who has played less than a year...

anyways... as far as warm and punchy id say some type of hybrid or all tube head. the eden would be very punchy and warm and would really shine with a matching eden xlt. ashdowns are very warm but are more smooth then punchy IMO. the traynor yba 200 would be very very warm since its an all tube head.

are you looking for just a head or a new head and cab?
  14. Doesn't Washington Music Center stock Aguilar stuff? While I personally haven't tried the AG500SC, it sells for a little over $800 and it's probably worth adding to your short list.
  15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Well, first point; One man's opinion dosen't = the entire retail establishment or the viewpoint of ALL the other sales associates. "They" can usually be reduced to "one" specific person. Generalities like "they said" can be misleading as it MAY falsely represent the entire store.

Secondly, your right....many TB'ers will disagree regarding the general statement about GK being "crap" I wouldnt be surprised if the very "salesman" who said it was crap was the same guy who may have mistakenly plugged the output of another amp into the output of the GK to make it "blow" or some such other destructive act. Riks music on the web sells the GK1001RB mark II for $600 shipped. Punchy head, reliable, good sounding reliable gear.
  16. But G-K can't be as bad as salesguy says or they would not be where they are today. No jab at the young- I was young once & knew EVERYTHING- but was this guy over 18?
  17. Mastersonics

Mastersonics Banned

May 31, 2004
    hey Tone
    could let me know the phone # to this store?

I'm looking to buy one of these amps right away and
    this seems like a good price.

please reply with a phone # or a link

18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Maybe I can help.

Click here.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    To be fair to the guy at the store, GK amps did at one time have a reputation for overheating. Don't know if they still do as I can't stand them and only use them when I'm forced to on fly dates where I use rented backline, but it's not something that came out of the blue.