1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upstairs With Milt

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Don Kasper, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I had never heard this recording before today.
    Milt Hinton showing off.
    Yikes.

ericsmith, dhm, fclefgeoff and 16 others like this.
  2. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I’ve got “three little words” to describe that -
    It’s a motherf#@ker!

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    If there are no objections, I'll just write a sentence or two in testimony to The Judge's greatness.

In my verdict, Milt is a badass for prosecuting such a trying tempo successfully. This track is a discovery for me, one in which I hear evidence of his appeal as one of the greatest of all time.

dhm, fclefgeoff and Michael Karn like this.
  4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I'll allow it, counselor.

fclefgeoff and Carl Hillman like this.
  5. Fantastic playing. His career was so great, from Cab Callaway to George Russell. His duo with Papa Jo is a favorite of mine.
    The quality is odd, the LP is only slightly better but the music is great.

6. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    That intonation at that tempo, with that string height... lawdamercy...

Milt-Hinton-2.jpg

dhm, Keith Rawlings and Don Kasper like this.
  7. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    It was frustrating to attend some of the festivals that Milt was featured at in his later years because it seemed that his slapping routine, which was great, was the only thing the audience was there for. The overall quality of his playing otherwise did not seem to even register.

8. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Always love a Milt Hinton thread! He is one of my absolute fave players. I also love his photography, and his book "Bass Line" is wonderful. The story of his life, with amazing photographs of all the jazz giants of his many days.

PHJ and unbrokenchain like this.
  9. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    That’s one of the many things that made Milt great; and it would have been a definite draw to me to go and see him play. Barely anyone slaps in jazz music anymore as it’s been relegated to being simply schtick. It’s sad because the roots of jazz music were grown from slap bass and I personally love it.

I love all of Milt’s stuff though - especially the music he made with Hank Jones. It’s so good!

Joshua and unbrokenchain like this.
  10. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    Milt celebrated his 80th birthday in Mpls. and several of us local bassists at the time got together for a version of (I think it was) Billie's Bounce. Why we played that for his b'day I have no idea. Mr. Hinton posed for photos with each of us and graciously made no comment on our performance.

11. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    I tried listening to this. I really tried but it’s not my thing. Too experimental for me.

12. Which is what is so cool about it. He kept moving through out a long career. Another more experimental but great album he is on is this one:

dhm, vilshofen, J_Bass and 1 other person like this.
  13. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    Now that one is very interesting. I like it. Having Bill Evans on it doesn’t hurt either.

J_Bass likes this.
  14. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    The Judge is the man. I'll need to check out that George Russel recording!

Branford Marsalis - Trio Jeppy, Clark Terry - The Happy Horns Of Clark Terry, Lionel Hampton's - You Better Know It! and Quincy Jone - The Birth Of A Band are all great records for anyone wanting more Milt in their ears.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Great recording, thank you for sharing!

16. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Baruch College gave Milt an honorary doctorate, and Larry Goldings got the call to play the reception after the ceremony. He called Andy Watson to play drums and me to play tenor, and we started to play when Milt was wheeled into the room by his daughter. Right before we started, Larry said to us “who the hell gets an organ player to play for Milt Hinton?!”, and we both fell out. Within a minute his wheelchair was parked right in front of us, and he stayed there for the whole set. His daughter told me the organizers had a seat for them at a table near the front of the room, but he wouldn’t sit there. After we finished we sat with him and he couldn’t have been more gracious, it was pretty amazing

17. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    One thing we asked him was about his years in the studios, and especially who his favorite person to record with was. In an instant he said “Eddie Fisher!”, and we were surprised to say the least. He said that Eddie’s time was notoriously bad and his sessions would always go overtime, so he and all the other first call CBS guys would sub out of anything they had to get on his dates

18. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    Steve Boisen likes this.
  19. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    So your recommendation led me to order this and I wanted to follow up: good stuff! Milt is one of my faves, and every collection benefits from more Papa Jo. Thanks for the heads up on it!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021