1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US: Northeast Upstate New York

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by Mike Anderson, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Hell everyone!

Anyone here from the upstate New York area?

I was thinking about trying to get an area bass group going - a support group to share ideas, ask questions and learn from each other.

I noticed some local music shops had clinics and other meet ups for other instrumentalists but nobody had anything for bass players.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :thumbsup: There's several of us in the general area of Binghamton, another bunch up near Syracuse I think.

alanloomis1980 and Mike Anderson like this.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Spencerport, NY checking in.

There are a bunch of us in the Greater Rochester area and Buffalo, too.

4. I'm relativity new to playing bass. I'm located in Greece, New York. Back in May, I ruptured my Achilles tendon and ended up having surgery. I was in a cast and a walking boot unable to put weight on my leg for about two months. So I went onto Facebook market place and bought a used electric bass and started to teach myself some. As a Christmas present to myself I bought an acoustic guitar style bass (not an upright) and love the sound of it much better - makes it much easier to pick it up and tool around without all the cords and amps. I've spent the last few months just playing recognizable bass lines that I printed tabs to (Another one bites the dust, seven nation army, I am Iron Man, etc.) and am having fun tooling around, though I am in the process of finding lessons locally to get better.

I noticed some local music shops like Bernunzio Uptown Music host clinics and other meet ups for other instrumentalists but nobody has anything for bass players! I assume it's very likely because of the gear required.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Jscriv and alanloomis1980 like this.
  5. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Originally from Rome... hope to be back up that way again when it warms up.

(Spent some time in Endicott as well...) I miss the area... don't miss the cold.

6. I don't blame you! I've been here for almost 34 years and the only time I left was to make the short drive to the Buffalo area for college!

7. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
  8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Irondequoit NY checking in!

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There's several here around the Binghamton area too!

10. Gyver

Gyver Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Binghamton, New York
    Binghamton, NY here!

11. Thanks Alan, Seneca Falls here, right at the end of Cayuga lake in the Finger Lakes. Hoping to meet more bass players around me as well as I am new to playing.

12. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm near Buffalo.

Jscriv and alanloomis1980 like this.
  13. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
  14. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Hey Scott, glad to see you here.

15. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yeah, this bug has us stir crazy out here in WNY, a local guy who usually runs Rock The Park in Albion NY said he was working on an Idea for a show. I had posted a few times on FB about doing a "Drive In" show if we could find a drive in theater that'll host and it looks like he's trying to set something up. The band I'm in Money Talks just formed last January and we're booking shows and ready to go when this all hit and yanked all our shows out from under us so we've been using the time to polish our show, add more songs to the list and create an acoustic show. (we still get together and practice).

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    The band I'm in (Predator) formed right about the same time. We've got a classic rock set ready to go with songs from bands like VH, Sabbath, Kiss, Cheap Trick, Zeppelin, and we've got the metal set with songs from Dio, Slayer, Anthrax, Maiden etc....

Hoping to get some shows at Pineapple Jack's, Bathtub Billy's and The Penny Arcade (or whatever they're calling it now) once the craziness calms down.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Would be fun to be a part of something like this. Unfortunately, your upstate is much more upstate than my upstate. [Mid Hudson Valley]

MattZilla and jazzbass_5 like this.
  18. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Our Guitar player Phil Sperenza (formally of the Dirty white boys) was at Pineapple Jack's like a week before lockdown to talk to them and we had like 3 shows locked down already. What a mess. My friend and jam buddy Pete Manuel did a live feed from the Carlson a week or so ago. So there are options. I searched for your FB page, if you haven't made one yet or you have the link share it please.
    Here's ours.
    Money Talks

biguglyman and Mike N like this.