1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uptempo with Drummer

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Kevin Hsieh, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I've been doing a lot of uptempo shedding and have gotten to the point that I can keep a fairly solid walking line up to about 360. However, when I take it to rehearsal, the drummer and I seem to disagree about the tempo almost immediately. (he blames me first naturally) We played with a Dr.Beat and it's hard to tell who's at fault. (though i caught him rushing like mad) Any remedies for this?

2. It's might be a problem with where you both are feeling the beat; up front, down the middle, or behind. I don't know how long either of you have been playing, but beginnerish cats tend to play on the front of the beat, creating the illusion of rushing the tempo. If one of you is playing it that way and the other isn't you're not gonna have a good hook up.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I agree with what David said and I also think that both of you need to be comfortable playing at that tempo otherwise you won't be together because you won't have anything left over to make the adjustments to link up. What I mean to say here when all of your focus and energy is applied to playing that fast you don't have enough focus left over to listen carefully and adjust.

4. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Skip the metronome for ensemble playing. Metronomic does not equal swinging. Are both of you practicing along with transcriptions? Can you match a Ron Carter line note for note for 7 minutes? Can he match Tony? Are you guys friends? Are your egos in the way? Even better can you play a blues together at 50 bpm and make it swing?

Jazz academia has this lie that playing with a metronome gives you "good time." Doing 1,000 transcriptions and playing 5,000 gigs gives you good time.

I know of no shortcuts.

5. JohnCota

JohnCota

Jul 28, 2007
    Central Illinois
    The drummer and bassist have to be TIGHT. There is no room for a gulf between you regarding who is right or wrong. A rhythm section has to be one unit. If it is fractured, the audience suffers from it.

I used to play drums in a band with Vic (I currently play bass in a different band). Before Vic came into our band, our bassist used to drag me along and we would both get faster. He didn't listen to my meter. He went ahead of me, and we always played the songs too fast. Vic stayed with my tempo, and we meshed. The timing was perfect, and no one ever complained about us being too fast or too slow. Vic had good timing, and so did I. We complemented each other. It was AWESOME.

If you are finding anything short of that, then figure out what is wrong and fix it. Otherwise you will never have fun... and that's what it is all about.

:bassist: