Upton Bass American Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Stradosfella, Apr 10, 2005.

1. http://uptonbass.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/237

Is this bass a wise investment? It would be my backup/jazz bass so I'm trying to see if I can get a good bass for not paying the 17,000 that my main bass is worth. Not quite sure if it comes with full restoration. Is it worth more than Arnolds New Standard? Any opinions are welcome.
  2. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    That bass has a lot of work to be done, at least a couple of grand. Could be a mother though!
    I still dig my La Scala :)
  3. So when the site lists "Complete setup and repair upon sale," I assume that is not refering to the restoration...?Or is it?
  4. You got me, I emailed him to ask tho. Educated guess, It'll be a mother when its done. Plus, I am doing an internship with a local Luthier this summer, He said he would be glad to help me with it if Gary's restoration is pricey.
  5. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    My good friend Sam Sherry pointed me in the direction of this post. Just to clarify for the price listed the bass will be fully repaired and restored.

Gary Upton

6. As the custodian of AS bass 94 I am sorely tempted! That's the earliest example of an American Standard bass known to exist. While that might not mean anything to a lot of you, you gotta know it means something to somebody...
  7. Just clicked through and found that it's the second lowest S/N. I don't remember hearing of a lower one though. Surprising that it hasn't been mentioned here (unless I just missed it).

So which ones do we know of? Upton has 40, Don Higdon has 87, I've got 94, and then I remember there's a bunch of 20##s out there. Is there a list anywhere?
  8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I have a list of close to 30 serial no's and #40 is the lowest that I know of. I thought Billy Linneman's was the oldest I had seen, but the no. on his is 2610. BTW, he's been relieved of his post at the Opry after 40 or so years. Not sure of the reason, supposedly they are trying to "modernize". May have to do with his gig with the union, don't know.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For the record, strictly from a playing perspective, I'd rather have one of Arnold's NS Cleveland lamintates (I'm the former owner of original American Standard #158). That said, no amount of money can buy a place in DB history. I imagine that the AS bass in question would be a fine instrument for an "old school" jazzer when restored, as well as a chunk of history and a great conversation piece. :)
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Before buying a laminated Cleveland from Mr. Schnitzer in 2003 I had a chance to play an old American Standard (dunno the SN#) at David Gage's shop in NYC. Sprocket (sales guy at Gage's) told me the bass was a cannon. Indeed, it was loud and boomy but it didn't have near the articulation, detail or versatility the Cleveland had. Also these things are huge--big shoulders, and IIRC the original scale length is 43". The AS I played was battered and tattered, and I thought the $4000 price was steep.

Maybe high-prices on beatup plywood basses is an East Coast thing--Gage had a rosewood-board Englehart (neck had been snapped off and repaired) for $1500, and several fairly blah Kays for $2500. In the past few years I've seen similar condition/setup/trim-level Kays sell for half that here in California.

That said, there's a definite charm to these well-worn workhorses, though I have played more than a couple old (and expensive!) plywood basses that just sound dead. For my budget and needs (~$3500, versatile/durable/ready to go as-is) the Cleveland was the clear winner so I bought it.
  11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'd also advise sinking your $$ into a new Cleveland. I think you'll come away with something you'll be really happy with. If it's mojo you want, a Cleveland will give it to you right outta the can without having to worry about structural or maintenance issues that a vintage bass is likely to have.

Besides..."purchased mojo" isn't nearly as cool as mojo you add yourself.
  12. This is a laminated bass! I guess i've lost touch with reality, but why not save another grand and buy a nice little carved bass??
  13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Further evidence in support of my "old laminated basses cost half as much out West" theory: there's AS #169 for sale on TB classifieds (in Oregon) for $2k.
  14. Well guys, I have pretty much made up my mind. I'm going to save up a little more and go for a Kolstien Nardelli. That should do me fine.
  15. Tell us about the Nardelli?
  16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Is that #B1892 at the Kolstein website? Looks nice...interesting bit of figure in the top, down by the tailpiece.