Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upton bass arrives... In one piece

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by azflyman, Jun 4, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    My big gorgeous Upton Jazz bass arrived today. I removed the fake stringholder and set the adjustable bridge. And then I cranked for about a hour it seemed to get the strings up to pitch (Damn ratio is a bugger compared to a slab). It sounds AWSOME!!! :D It has a huge sound for a laminated bass. It kicks the crap out of the 1040's Kay I played recently that was significantly more money. It has a big round tone to die for. Gary Upton set the sound post back a bit to give the bass a slightly darker sound and what came out of the bass is the sound I had in my head.

The setup is wonderful, low action and not a buzz anywhere on the neck. There was adjustment left in the bridge to set the action both higher and a bit lower(I don't think I want or need any lower). The bridge feet (?) are dead flat against the top, no gaps before tuning to tension. The nut was grooved to perfection, no hard first position and consistent. My fingers need work but the bass is killer.

I can't say enough about the service from Gary Upton. My first bass arrived broken and he sent this bass out the next day. If I can figure out how to post some pics I will do so. This bass is a looker as well. The back has very nice flame. There are a few finish flaws but that is to be expected on a bass in this price range.

I also purchased one of Gary's bags for the bass and it is a very high quality. Lots of padding, a ton of handles, backpack straps that work, really quite nice. The wheels on the bag even have bearings and are hard rubber rather than plastic, they are not large so four wheeling is out but indoors would be fine.

All in all I am very happy. I bought this bass without playing it first. I know this is a sin to most of you out there but after talking to Gary Upton the first time I knew it would be exactly as he said. I can spot a line of BS a mile away and there is none from Gary. With a 10 day return policy if you don't like it you can send it back. This bass is a keeper. :smug:

az

2. I also have an Upton Bass, which I am also enjoying. I would second your opinion about Mr. Upton. He was great with me. Mine upright is a carved model. It was set-up well and wonderful.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    :cool: Well, I told you so! Gary Upton is a gem and so is that bass you bought. I have a hybrid I bought from Gary and am also extremely pleased.

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I know that the shop is not open every day, or even every weekday. I always heard back within a day or two. I have always had good luck calling him as well. If he is with a customer I had to call back once or twice. The diligence is worth it.

az

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    az man is quite correct about the Upton schedule. It's not a dichotomy at all Don. Being a one-man operation, he's probably giving customers the attention you would want. Try emailing directly to gary@uptonbass.com The message will go directly to him. Your patience will be rewarded!