Upton Bass Bag & Bags Generally

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Hey everybody. I'm lookin for a new case now the old one just isn't cuttin it. I was checkin out www.uptonbass.com and they had the new upton bass case comin out awhile ago and I was wonderin if anyone has seen it and checked it out? Anyone know how thick of padding it is or if its quility stuff? I haven't never delt with them some I wouldn't know.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I bought one about a year ago, and I think I'd investigate other options next time. My bag appeared to be pretty well-designed and constructed on the surface. The handles and pockets are placed conveniently, and the way it fully opens up clamshell-style is nice. The wheels are nice as well (but add weight). Well-padded. However, many of the sewn joints and seams started to come loose after only a few month's use (about 4-6 gigs monthly on average). I've had to repair several of them, and the fabric itself is pulling loose from the seams at the bottom...this can't really be repaired. Also the blue color looks great new, but not after lots of use...shows dirt and stains a little too much. Next time, I'll also forego a bag with the back-pack style straps...they are next to useless and constantly hang on things.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When I bought the Shen, I scored one of these along with it from Nick:

It is a very nice bass bag and a little less expensive than others of comparable quality, IMO at least.
  4. LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a Mooradian case I got less than a year ago, so far it's held up great. Unfortunately most of the time these cases can get a little expensive, so what I did was found a company online that said they would beat any price. I then found a really good price online and then they had to beat it, so I got a $300 case for $180.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A friend has one of the Upton bags and while the wheels are a way cool feature I was unimpressed with the padding and stitching compared to my Mooradian Standard (which is actually a cheaper bag).

BTW I live near Mooradian's shop and when I went to get a seam repaired they redid a number of the other seams and then refused to take any money for the job! Not bad customer service for a 10 year old gig bag.
  6. Thats cool thanks for the help guys and gals. What Mooradian bag did you get Brian and how thick is the padding?
  7. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Just a quick note about my Mooradian bag. I've had it for 11 years (with heavy use) and it is still in great shape. No problems with any seams, zippers, etc. And the cats love it, too!
  8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Another nice thing about Mooradian bags is that when not in use they stuff into a small space more easily than many others which can be a real blessing on some of those restaurant gigs.
  9. Sounds like Mooradian is the way to go then. I'm lookin at the Mooradian Standard now. Any thoughts or what bags are you usin?
  10. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Now that you mention it, Jeff, that's a big complaint I have with the Upton bag...incredibly bulky.
  11. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    You might want to look at Bobelock's version of the big fat bag. It looks to be all that the Mooradian is, at a muuuuch lower price.
  12. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    + 1. The Bobelock is a fantastic bag, especially for the price. Between the dense padding, extra-heavy-duty zippers and 2-3 times the stitching on handles than most others, all it would take is a little Kevlar to make them (literally) bullet-proof. ;)
  13. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    If there is a problem with an Upton product please contact us directly. Of roughly 300 bags sold, the few complaints we have received in no way lead me to believe I should stop carrying this product. The latest bag coming out should not have any issues that have been mentioned......thus the re-design and a "NEW" bag. However the bag will remain bulky...that seems to negate the statement of thin padding??

Regardless.....if you have an issue let me know and you will be taken care of.
  14. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Fair enough.....PM sent....

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I got a Messina Case several years back, it's blue, I dig it big time. The sideways opening pockets are a nice touch. And even though the padding seems thinner it feels more dense (if that makes any sense).
  16. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    This whole "bag" bag came up on 2xbasslist a little while back. There's that luthier in the Phillipines named Jacques -- last name Gagnon? His business is called "Cremonasia", I believe. Anyway, he's an active participant on that forum. It seems his outfit will make you a custom bag for a pretty darned attractive price. It looked like a pretty good deal to me -- info on the bag at his site.

I bought one of those Kaces bags from AH Bob -- a great bag but it's got what seems to be the same seam problem Mike is mentioning. It took a year of pretty regular -- every day -- use before I noticed this a couple months ago. It's a drag, 'cause the bag is fine in every other respect, but I'll have to chuck it when -- not if -- the seam situation gets too bad. Another year, max, I'd say.

I understand now, though, that Bob's got a new product to replace the Kaces. I'm sure if you ask his son he'll say that Poppa's got a brand new bag...
  17. Same here. Nothing major yet, just a few seams are beginning to creep open.
  18. I like the Kaces bags and they seem really nice but I haven't seen one with a back strap which are nice
  19. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Thought I'd state, in the interest of fairness, that Gary Upton has offered to replace my defective Upton bag. I'd never contacted him with my issues, so any delay in resolution was my own doing. Can't argue with that kind of customer service!
  20. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Bobelock bag is excellent. I had a Mooradian Deluxe before and bought a Bobelock when I bought a new bass. It's better than the Mooradian for a very, very decent price.