Upton bass case

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Julie, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Has anyone tried Upton 's bass case with the wheels attached? Would sure like some feedback before I buy.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed. I have both the current updated version and the older version. Upton has made substantial improvements over time that are all embodied in the one they are selling now. Its quite thickly padded, has ample bridge protection, and the wheels have saved my back!

If I were to change anything about the case it would be to beef up the small strap handle on the side opposite the side with the main handles.

All in all it's a great case for the $$$.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'll just say that I have one of the older ones. I replied to a similar thread and stated my dissatisfaction with the bag due to the way it's begun to unravel at seams and handle attachment points. At that point, Gary Upton contacted me and told me he'd replace the bag when the new ones became available...remember, I didn't ask, he volunteered this.

Fast forward several months. I've sent several emails to Upton Bass to ask about the bag. I got one reply from a sales associate, but Gary Upton no longer replies to my emails. In short, nothing was ever done and I continue to worry about the handles an seams coming loose on my bag.

This is not a bashing of Upton bass...this is a statement of my experiences as requested by the original poster, just like the last time I posted this info. I saved the emails for future reference, if needed by anyone. I realize that others have had good experiences with this company. I have not.
  4. Mike,
    I know that you have one of Arnold & Will's Clevelands as do I. Considering Gary Upton's new roller bags, does it fit your Cleveland. You know, is it easy to get in and out, are you getting any zipper scratch from it etc.
    I'm playing mostly bluegrass up here in VA and I like the wheels and back pack features of Gary's bag even given the poor follow-up on his part.
    In relation to the unraveling problem, you might get it restitched at a shoe shop and super glue the seams. Just take the bass out before you do it and only put enough glue on to hold the stitching and not to soak through the bag. After it hardens any excess glue soak through will create a rough spot on the interior of the case that will scratch the finish on the bass. I did this to one of my older bags and it worked well.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Love the color of your bass. I've got #104, a big shouldered blonde. Also, Thanks for the cuts on the audio section of TB, I really enjoy them.
  5. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Thanks for the nice comments, Jim!

My bass is actually a little tighter fit on the upper bouts than I'd prefer. The bag zips up okay, and doesn't scratch the bass, but you have to wrestle with it a bit to get it closed up. The extra weight of the wheels on the back side make it kind of unwieldy to get the bag open and on the bass while standing...the easiest way is to lay the bag down, fully zipped open, and put the bass in. Definitely not the easiest bag to get a Cleveland into, but that could probably said for any bag with attached wheels, in all fairness. I also bought mine thinking that the shoulder straps would be a great thing, but I've found them to be more trouble than they're worth...they constantly catch on things, even though I have them tucked in behind the big fabric loop that retains them when not in use. Due to the way the other handles have started to come unsewn, I'm REALLY hesitant to sling my bass across my back so that I don't have full control or vision.

All in all, I'd definitely look at another bag.
  6. GutOil

Jun 3, 2005
    Dallas, TX

I recently purchased this bag from Upton so I have not really used it much, but it appears to be a good bag for $270. I purchases it with a bass so I paid much less then that. My guess is that it will wear well. Not quite the same quality of some cases I've used in the $400+ category but then again you get what you pay for and with Upton I think you get a little more. :cool:

Overall, I would say if the price is right don't hesitate.
  7. Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks for all your comments guys!
  8. Mike, Thanks for the appraisal of the Upton bag. I think however, that I'll be looking for an alternative choice. Do you have any suggestions or other bags that you may have your eye on at this time? Thanks again,
  9. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com

Unless I have REALLY spaced out here I don't recall ever ignoring any email from you. My address is gary@uptonbass.com.....

If this was a MAJOR space out on my part, my honest apologies. AND I can understand why you would be upset and even hate me for this, on top of the fact that you do have one of the second generation bags that sounds like it’s really a dog! We just received our latest shipment of what is now the 6th generation bags and they are really nice. They will replace the black ones on the site as soon as we have the good pictures ready to go.. Send me your full address and I will be sure a new case goes out immediately. If I don't see an email from you by Monday I will post here again.............hmmm. Please send the email with a read receipt to be sure it made the trip.....

I would NEVER, NEVER want ANY customer to be upset Mike, call me yelling and screaming, at this point it's deserved!!

The new bag does not have the backpack straps; picture attached......better pictures to follow on the site soon.

Again, my sincerest apologies, I think (hope, gulp....) that if you check around, the lack of service you have received from me thus far is VERY under par for what we are known for here at Upton Bass.

Talk to you soon...

Gary Upton

Attached Files:

10. I think the wheels on the Upton bag is a great feature, so hopefully the new bags are better constructed as well as having built on wheels. I don't have an Upton bag mainly because of the size issues. As far as features, I thought it was the best bag out there when I compared them all. Too bad about the one size fits everyone's bass but mine thing. So how about making them in a 7/8 or 4/4 size since us folks with the big basses are really the ones who need those wheels the most?

BTW, I ended up with a great Reunion Blues Bag that fits, but no wheels. This is a more expensive bag, but probably nearly indestructible and maximum protection next to a shipping case. I'm looking at the Kolstein stroller or the Gaines wheel to get it rollin'.

So size versatility would be a great idea to go with the other desirable Upton Bag features when the durability issues are worked out. With the built on wheels, it is a product destined for a bright future, I think. :)
  11. Wow, what a great response from Mr. Upton, if I do say so myself. That is taking pride in what you do.

I was looking at the Upton case myself but didn't get one because they didn't have any in stock when I needed one. Oh well maybe next time. But I did end up getting a Bobelock case and am very happy with it. The shoulder straps I don't think are very good but I don't like using the shoulder straps anyways. After seeing one of those straps break on a guy and his bass took a nasty, top breaking fall, I don't use um. But the padding is great and it the handles seem to be holding very well. Might look into that. The wheels though on the Upton case is very cool though, I'd love to have um on mine.
  12. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    An update on my situation...as I told Gary Upton, it's only fair that I be as vocal about positives as the negatives.

For anyone who's been reading my comments above, my problem has been resolved. Apparently all due to communication issues, but in any case, Upton Bass has replaced my bag and even included some very nice goodies. Gary went to a lot of trouble to track me down via phone the same day he read my comments, and my replacement bag was on my front doorstep just a few days later. Any doubts I had about service have been addressed.

The new bag is a definite improvement in design, IMO. No more backpack straps, with a single removable shoulder strap which works a lot better. The stitching and construction appears to be sturdier, and it has an extra pocket behind the headstock. All in all, a better bag. I have to use it for a while before I know how durable it'll be, but this is a great start.

If anyone would like to know any other details about my purchase and subsequent dealings with Upton Bass, please feel free to contact me.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Upton Bass: always nice when vendors come thru.

Alternative bags: I really like my Bobelock. No wheels, but a very good product, very reasonably priced.