Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upton Bass Gut Strings - cheap! - anyone try them?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Alexi David, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    I cant divulge all the way but I can say they are not Efranos in any way......Its an exclusive product via Clef Music Manufacturing..

http://www.uptonbass.com/product_show.asp?item=924

They will be available to other dealers in the next few months. Nice strings GREAT price!

The true name of the strings "Clef Gut Double Bass Strings"

Thank You
    Gary Upton
    Double Bassist, Luthier, & President of Upton Bass
    Gary@uptonbass.com
    1-860-536-7555
    --------------------------------------------------
    Have you experienced the REVOLUTION?
    For more info on the Revolution Bass Pickup:

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Duely noted, and thanks for the info;)

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Anyone else trying out these strings?
    for the price it sure sounds tempting, but would be nice to hear a little more about it, especially how they compare with other strings.

6. Yes i purchased a set from Upton, on my bass i discovered they bowed ok, even the plain E & A, however pizz for the low E lacked clarity and definition, the A was a little better and the D & G seemed fine to me. I think for the price they are great for a newbie looking to hear and feel the sound of gut on their bass without all the expense normally associated with gut strings. I have subsequently removed the low E & A and replaced them with Thomastik's Superflexible E & A. So now i have a steel/gut combination which works well. All bow nicely and pizz good too. Hope this helps! :D

7. One last point, the E & A are huge, adjustments will have to be made to your bass nut and bridge to accomodate them correctly.

8. I was wondering what the gauges of these strings are. Is this information available? - Thanks, Jon

9. Basfidl

Basfidl

Dec 2, 2004
    Hope Mills NC
    I've recently strung a set on my 1940 Kay. I'll have to agree wholeheartedly with the comment about the "E" string. It lacks, well, everything. Since i've been reading others' comments on mixing strings i'm beginning to wonder if that wouldn't work for me as well. The G, D and A seem to be fine and from what the rest of the band tells me they like the darker tone than the Thomastik's i normally run. I've also been seeing a lot of chatter about the Supers. Can these be purchashed individually or only by set?? I'd love to try all combos of strings and sets but an active duty Air Force guy only makes so much. :rolleyes:
    I'm trying to let the guts grow on me a bit before i make any rash decisions to swap back to steel. We practiced last night and they seemed to be even more responsive and "boomier". I know they require some stretching and break-in, so i'm gonna let'em cook for a while and see what comes of it.

- Buzz

10. Basfidl

Basfidl

Dec 2, 2004
    Hope Mills NC
    One other things on the Upton guts....I also agree there needs to be some compensation made for the guage size on the bridge and nut although i've not made any as i possibly might switch back to the Thomastiks and i've not experienced any problems heretofore.

- Buzz