1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upton owner in DC area, your help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HotRoded, Mar 18, 2008.

1. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Hello,

I'm on the market for an upright bass, and I am still in the educational/beginner phase.

Would there be someone located a reasonable distance of Maryland DC metro area who would let me try his/her bass ?

Plz reply here, or PM me.
    Thx!

2. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Have you tried asking Upton for references in the area? They may be able to hook you up with some folks around the Beltway.

I believe that they have a database of their customers. While the contact information may be confidential, Upton may be able to help you by contacting the customer on your behalf.

A relevant thought is that Upton has recently changed/upgraded their production methods and product line pretty significantly, I hear. In other words, you may be comparing apples to oranges if you find/play an older instrument that is not representative of the current product.

Unless you can find an owner who has received their instrument in the last couple of months, it is less likely to be a made-in-USA-model. Perhaps, if you are serious about an Upton, a pilgrimage to Mystic may be in your future. I personally would not buy a bass sight unseen (IMO)...

3. Low8va

Low8va

Mar 13, 2008
    You should contact Bob Kurz at Bob's House of Basses. He is located outside of DC, in Maryland. He is a great guy and usually has an assortment of inexpensive basses for young players/students. Good Luck.

4. The new American Uptons look WAY different from all the pictures I've seen of the old ones. A lot of the European-made Uptons (hybrids) looked very "peachy" with a strong reddish tone to the wood and what looked to my eyes like sort of a heavy varnish. (Granted, I only saw them in photographs.)

I was worried about this so I talked to Josh at Upton and he told me that their varnish for the US basses was changed to a more brownish color and that some refinements were made to it.

When I finally got my Hybrid I could not have been happier with the way it looked - a beautiful, medium-brown satin finish with the grain of the wood showing through wonderfully. It has a HUGE tone too and plays really easily - the (free) setup was great. For an entry level instrument I think it is really tremendous.

5. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I am still looking at all possibilities, and don't know what I will end up with.

I have been at Bob's, very nice guy indeed.

I had contacted Upton and they advised me to try to contact someone in my area via talkbass. Of course they would welcome me in their shop.

Interesting to see differences between Upton basses made in Europe and USA are significant. What country in Europe were they made in ?

I hate the idea of buying sight unseen too, that's why I shop around and try to meet people. Upton would just be one of my options, but they are talked a lot here, so I'm curious.

6. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    HotRoded,

I'm in Culpeper, VA. It's a lot closer than Connecticut. I have an Upton 5-string hybrid with the preserve saddle, Upton Blacks nylon strings (except the low B which is a Pirastro Obligato).

Mine was among the last of the Europe-Origins put out by Upton. It was supposed to be one of their first production U.S. instruments. They were making the transition to making them in-house and had a few setbacks. I'm confident that if they feel the Europe-Origin instruments meet their standards, one of their U.S.-made ones will be comparable.

They've added a few more varieties of models and changed the names around. They would better be able to tell you about the differences.

If you are still interested and want to give mine a try, you can PM me here or e-mail me directly at BrooksN777@hotmail.com and we can make arrangements.

7. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Check the UB classified forum. There was an Upton listed in Baltimore a few months ago. I'm not sure if it is still there but worth a look.

8. harrisburg, pa usa ... upton hybrid, if you feel like taking a road trip. two hours from dc. and shank's strings is a short drive from here.

jeff.

9. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA

Where is this UB forum???

10. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    BassAxe, Thx for your kind offer.

Guys, thx very much for your help. And yes I saw the ad from the guy located in Baltimore, we talked a bit, but hadn't had a chance to meet.

Meanwhile, I bought a Kay, so my search is over.

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I think he means the TalkBass Double Bass Classifieds - the TBDB Classifieds. :)

12. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

TB Forum, UB Forum: It can get somewhat confusing.

It says both at the top of every page here.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    He was suggesting that he check the UB (upright bass) classifieds but we call it DB (double bass) around here.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, that would be "DB" forums, as in "Double Bass". Some people use "UB", as in "Upright Bass", or "Uncle Bill". Some even try to use "AB" as in "Acoustic Bass", but then it can get confused with those overgrown guitar things they play upstairs. But the official acronym would be "DB" around these parts. Don't let anyone tell ya differnt.

15. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's absolutely right Durrl. Its called 'Double Bass' because its twice as good! :)