1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upton standard ply

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by slappin sammy, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    After A stop at the shop in CONN. this spring I was close to placing an order for A standard ply living in vt makes it close enough for me to drive and pick up But it makes me not want to gig in the winter with my 1958 Epiphone B 4 as it is 0 to -20 often on the way home and the old epi is just not happy in winter . I have found pretty close to me A 2014 upton standard ply for a little less then new and no waiting .it seems to have not many miles on it and play like a dream as the guy has 3 basses and needs to make room . should I wait 6 weeks and pay full price and have a warranty or save 300$ and go get it today ? it will need , A set up as he played more jazz then what I do rock / blues / slapp thoughts ? also if I do I have a nicely set up off shore 3/4 with euro lights and good pickup for sale to help pay for it . lol

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    If you live that close to the shop, then I would just call the guys at Upton and ask them about the bass and a fresh setup. I'm not sure what the warranty is even though I purchased a standard new myself, but those guys will do everything in their power to make the customer happy and keep their basses healthy. Who better to give the bass a checkup than the guys that built it? Just give them a ring and see what they'll run you for a setup.

Also - you might be able to wheel and deal a little with the seller and save a bit more $$$.

3. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Not a bad idea , got to go look at A 1947 kay today for close to the same money and then pull the trigger I really do like the Upton and I have always wanted one .

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    $300 savings is not enough to justify buying used, IMO. You could easily spend that much getting a used bass set up how you want it.

Wait, do I understand you correctly . . . after posting your original post, you went and looked at a completely different bass, pulled the trigger, returned home and posted about it only 2 hours after that original post? You, my friend, are a man of action.

M0ses and slappin sammy like this.
  5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I just want to know where in VT he's seeing all these basses.

6. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    So. A '47 Kay because you're concerned about the weather impact on your '58 Epi? Okayyyyyyy...

7. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    FWIW - I sold a '51 Kay M1B in great condition to buy an Upton ply. Much more playable, in my opinion. Just the neck dimensions alone were worth the change. But, if "vintage mojo" is important, then you have other options.

slappin sammy likes this.
  8. Mrlen613

Mrlen613

Jul 19, 2008
    Clinton,NJ
    You might want to call Upton to see what the build time is right now. Your wait time might be longer than 6 weeks...

9. Mark Leue's shop in Ashfield.

10. The only reason to get a ply bass is durability. Uptons have a solid reputation for the basses they make so I wouldn't worry too much about warranty.

DrayMiles and slappin sammy like this.
  11. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    That's Ashfield MA not Vermont.

12. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the feed back ,the 47 kay is way cool but ,yes if I don't like taking the Epi out in winter the kay would give me two that stay home till spring so leaning to the Upton even if the kay is in great shape no repairs ever . and it is owned by the son of the first .tuff call no sleep tonight for me .lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I started my relationship with Upton over a decade a go when I bought a plywood bass from them for the school where I was President - Deep Springs college in the High Sierras of California. We get tons of snow, dry winters, desert summers etc; the bass adapted quickly, played great and is still there. You won't have anything to worry about.

14. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Ahhh. I check his website quite a bit. Is it fairly accurate or does he not update often?

BTW: That's only about 45 min away from me

15. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    In the words of the great Jerry Douglas, "collect 'em all"!

16. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Well I pulled the trigger on the Upton standard ply going to get ittuesday. I did turn a buddy on to the kay and he picked that up today. I will post A pic. or two . I will be selling my winter road bass if anybody close is looking it's a west coast string / Chinese .ply . but in great shape set up by Paul Perrly cellos and basses with A good case and rockabilly double pickup and Eurosonic lite strings

Max George and sevenyearsdown like this.
  17. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    well the U B standard is home pretty cool 5265795-e4515b32332a0851a1bb89f89b53f697.

Attached Files:

Mrlen613 and sevenyearsdown like this.
  18. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congratulations!

19. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016

20. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Well the old road /off shore bass sold today and I spent some good time with the Upton this weekend as it was 10 to 20 below all week end what better thing to do, then learn to dance with a new friend just starting to feel comfy. It has steal DAddario zyex strings And I have used eurosonic lights for years . to do all around ,slapp and pitz blues and rockabilly prob. change them but we will see.