Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uptuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by needmoney, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Is it bad to tune the low B string up to a D?? or is it quite common

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Drop down a few gauges and you'll be okay. Something like a .110 or a .115

I wouldn't tune a .130 to D

3. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    D'Addario provides a very useful chart for this. You can find it here. (See section on XL bass strings)

To keep the same tension as a .100 tuned to E, you'll have to get a .110 tuned to D.

.130 D would be like .115 E, thats a bit too heavy. :scowl:

4. Hmmm okay, so whats the best size B-string to use if i'm often tuning up to a C, and rarely a D. I don't know much about string tension...

5. when Meshuggah plays stuff from their album Nothing live, Gustaf Heilm tunes his Ibanez BTB 4 stringer up to F to match the low F of the 8 string guitars.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Are you usually using B? You should be okay with most gauges for swapping between B and C as you're adding maybe a pound and a half of tension uptuning a semitone. Going up to D you're going to be adding around 4 1/2 pounds, which is pushing it a bit. If you really need to do that I'd go with a .115, but the B is going to be a bit floppy at the tension you'll have there.

7. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    damn, that is...well...dumb. playing in the same frequency as the guitar? IMO instead of uptuning to match an 8 string guitar, he should go ahead and get a 6er.

8. I'm just curious why someone would want to tune a B string to D. I play five string and I'm curious if this is something I could incorporate into my playing.

9. nothing but good old fashioned plain stupidity. if your already using an eight string guitar, and your lower than the bass, then sorry, but there is no more use for a bassist. too much wattage to deal with, too many tuning complications, too much bass modification, just a whole bunch of time and effort that doesnt amount to any good. Lamb of God is better in technicality and realism

10. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    IMO lamb of god are just a better band all together, i can listen to them for days. i get real bored and fairly sick when i listen to a full meshuggah album.