Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URB/EUB strings made similarly to electric strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by knuckle_head, Oct 22, 2005.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I am doing an off-scale project and standard electric sets are very sparse as length goes - I was wondering what y'all know about string construction and what can be got in the way of upright strings that have a 40" or 42" speaking length.

And as long as I am asking, what kinds/brands of strings are appropriate for bowing?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Most DB strings are designed for a 40-42 inches mensur.
    Typically, orchestra-type strings are more appropriate for bowing; most Pirastro strings, Corellis, Helicores orchestral variety, Jargars, etc.
    What do you exactly want?
    I don't see anything special or unusual in your request.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    My request for info has two parts;

I make extended scale electrics and have been approached to do an upright type instrument. It was suggested in our conversation that an upright type instrument needed the capacity to be bowed in order for it to be as effective a design as possible. I am ignorant to the nature of bowable strings and their construction, and have a difficult time as it is getting strings for the basses I make, so that is the biggest part of my question.

Additionally, it have been considering the possibility of using upright strings on my basses in general as my scale lengths are in that range already. I have gone about reinventing the wheel and it is indeed very expensive - if the solution is already out there I would like very much to take advantage of it.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can use regular DB strings, which are designed for the common 3/4 size, which means around 42 inches.
    However, the total lenght of these strings is much more, as there's usually some lenght between the bridge and tailpiece, and between the top nut and pegs.
    Some DB strings brands are also available for fractional instruments and can be used with regular mensur instruments.
    I'm thinking of 1/2 size bass strings, which are usually exactly the same as 3/4 size, only shorter.
    Fewer are available though:
    Pirastro Flexocors, D'Addadio Helicores Orchestrals and Corellis (nickels and tungstens are all available in 1/2 size, and are bowable strings. (they are mostly bowing strings in fact)
    I happen to have a new set of Corelli nickels 300A strings to sell for cheap, if you're interested. They're for 1/2 size basses.
    Send me a PM if you want to discuss this further. (lenght, etc.)