URB to EBG or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pkr2, Oct 1, 2000.

1. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    How many of you guys learned to play URB before EBG? I did and have even amazed myself at how quickly I've progressed on EBG. I know that the learning curve on the EBG would have been steeper without the URB experience.

As much as I love the URB, I can already do things on EBG that I can't do on URB and I've been playing URB for well over 35 years. The purely physical part is so much easier on EBG than on URB that I can play a 4 hour gig with EBG and end up not being worn out at the end of the gig. On the other hand, I do miss the sweetness of the URB but I don't miss the blisters and hand cramps I've suffered through just trying to be heard on URB. I also like being able to transport my whole kit in the front seat of a Ranger pick-up truck.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I started with guitar, then bass, then upright.

Will C.:cool:
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I started on piano as a kid, got a ukelele at 10 and a guitar 6 months later. Got a fretted Precision bass at the end of high school. At college i got into jazz, and knew I had to have an URB. So I got one and loved it. Never used the bow, all pizz.

But here's the funny part. When I played EBG, the frets got in my way and I wound up getting a fretless replacement neck for my P bass. Just for the physical feel. I hadn't even heard of Jaco at the time.

So I really started on EBG, but got to fretless through URB.