1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

URB to EBG or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pkr2, Oct 1, 2000.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    How many of you guys learned to play URB before EBG? I did and have even amazed myself at how quickly I've progressed on EBG. I know that the learning curve on the EBG would have been steeper without the URB experience.

As much as I love the URB, I can already do things on EBG that I can't do on URB and I've been playing URB for well over 35 years. The purely physical part is so much easier on EBG than on URB that I can play a 4 hour gig with EBG and end up not being worn out at the end of the gig. On the other hand, I do miss the sweetness of the URB but I don't miss the blisters and hand cramps I've suffered through just trying to be heard on URB. I also like being able to transport my whole kit in the front seat of a Ranger pick-up truck.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I started with guitar, then bass, then upright.

Will C.:cool:

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I started on piano as a kid, got a ukelele at 10 and a guitar 6 months later. Got a fretted Precision bass at the end of high school. At college i got into jazz, and knew I had to have an URB. So I got one and loved it. Never used the bow, all pizz.

But here's the funny part. When I played EBG, the frets got in my way and I wound up getting a fretless replacement neck for my P bass. Just for the physical feel. I hadn't even heard of Jaco at the time.

So I really started on EBG, but got to fretless through URB.