1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    totally random,

but need to stock up on some CD's. already picked up darwin hobbs' "worshipper" at the suggestion of a good friend. any suggestions?

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    BACKLINE:

The only CONSISTENT part of my set up

* Radial BassBone (especially when I use 2 basses. Allows for fast switching)

* 2 Space Rack with Markbass F1 and Korg DTR1 tuner

* SWR Goliath Jr 2X10. Kinda hard to call it SWR, since the speakers were replaced before I bought it from a TBer. Sounds waaaaay better than my other Goliath Jr.

* Balanced output from the F1 to the church PA

BASSES:

Depends on the material being played on a particular Sunday, what I FEEL LIKE playing, and whether I want to carry one or two basses that day.

* If I'm only carrying one bass, it's either my Alembic Series II 5er or the Devon Diamond J-5 I got from Mr. Majestic. They are the most versatile sounding 5ers I own. From mellow to "tha hotness"

* If I'm carrying two basses, it's the Roscoe fretless and whatever else I feel like, but usually the Fender or the Marchlewski. They are the two "thump monsters" in my stable, so it comes down to how many strings I need. The Roscoe handles the mellow and phat, the Fender and the Marchlewski can handle all the high energy stuff.

HPIM2669.

STRINGS:
    * DR Black Beauties (Alembic 5 string, Devon, Roscoe)
    * DR Marcus Miller (Fender and Marchlewski)
    * Ken Smith Rock Master Medium (Alembic 4 string)

Peace,

James

3. I started a thread about gospel CD's this a few months ago. Here's the link:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457529

4. Coming out of the archives....bump!

Have to update my list.

GK MB210 combo
    Peavey Cirrus USA 6 string
    Elrick NJS 5 string

5. I hate that I missed this thread a few years ago.........I am still playing a lot of urban gospel and I love every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

MTD KZ5
    Lakland 55-01
    GK MB210 w/ 410 Neo Extension cab on order

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Well maybe we can revive it enough to get you in on the fun. My setup is one of my four Fender Jazz basses plugged into a Radial DI box of one sort or another and after that the boys and girls on the sound team are the only ones who know what happens to it. They do an excellent job, whatever their chain is! I have seen other guitarists and bassists use pedals at the church but most are just tuners and I think the one that is not is only used for its tuner function. We had one guitarist (who's now off to college) who would play through a small amp that would distort at a low level and the sound crew then miked that to feed it into the house PA. So we are a pretty basic crew when it comes to guitars and basses. The worship leader seems to like to let the synth players create all the effects.

Ken

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Mine has changed completely since a couple years ago.

MTD KZ6 w ken smith pup's, bartolini TQB-918, Aguilar OBP-3, Hipshot bridge and tuners.

Art Tube Channel, IPR3000DSP

12/6/1 and 12 sub
    DSCN3365.

8. AL is that you?

9. I know what you mean. I play bass and drums for our worship team (depends on the team, we have multiple ones that rotate) and a couple times the bass player and I have had to share in-ear monitor units (avioms).

Things certainly get interesting!

Nice rig, by the way. I dream of a rig like that.

10. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    T'is I

11. gzarate85

gzarate85 Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    **I stopped following at about page 4** That said, I saw lots of different interpretations of what people consider 'urban gospel'. I think your standard gospel would be artist like John P. Kee, Fred Hammond, Byron Cage, Marvin Sapp and so on...

Urban gospel however, is definitely a different type of gospel. You hear this type of music from artist like Tye Tribbet, Youthful Praise and so forth.

In my opinion, urban gospel has more flair to it, if that make sense. Below are a few videos I would categorize as urban gospel.

ALL THAT SAID, lol, to answer the OP, I think jazz basses are very common, as well as Smiths. You can see in the new direction video that the bass player is using a lakland, which honestly I hadn't seen much of in that field. I think the current trend for gospel bass players is the boutique jazz bass.

I personally use a Smith and at my church run direct into the house, with my own Aviom monitor. At my previous church we used a hartke cab (4x10) with a Gallien-Krueger amp.

Just my thoughts. Hope you enjoy the videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRRXP75Jw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQh2adpbP50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KuD0AjWdE

12. F BASS BN5
    TC Electronics BG250
    Mogami Gold cables
    Hercules 414 stand
    LeCover amp cover

13. I use a Ledbelli custom 5, Ken Bebensee custom 5 and a heavily modded cort gb75.

Church # 1 swr 400 head with a eden 210xlt cab.
    Church # 2 Musicman rig 210, and 212 cabs and head.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Wow...my last post was almost exactly 4 years ago. Some things have changed since then. The Fender and the Devon are both gone, replaced by two Music Man Sabres. All the SWR gear and the MarkBass F1 are gone, replaced by MarkBass 102P Combo and 102P extension cab. And i rarely use the BassBone or the rackmount Korg tuner anymore. Strings are pretty much the same though.

So my church rig is typically the MarkBass combo plus pick-a-bass.

15. Adamovic Saturn 5 through any kind of active monitor or my little 2x6" 100W combo I did myself.