1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. After years of vehemently stating that urban gospel steals the styles of other music and just throws God in there a few times, i'm actually starting to dig it. I play in here and there with my schools jazz band and a handful of gigs outside of school. When i did i used my Yamaha TRB 6 and whatever gear the church had (surprisingly almost all of them had ampeg gear :)). No compression and EQ'd for the most growl, which for me was mid at 5, bass at 7, and treble at 3-4 with the blend favoring the bridge pup, and the least brightness, which is probably why so many gospel bassists use Warwicks and Ken Smiths. But, my TRB worked like a charm.

I listen to Gospel for the arrangements and of course the bass. Seeing how the band, choir and lead singer is pretty cool. Some of those bassists are insane though. The groove would be simple and they'd throw some crazy lick in there and it would work so well with the music. It's good stuff, lol.

Can you dig it?

2. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    i woudlnt say any type of music steals other styles, you learn new things no matter what style youre playing, and you can always apply something from that style to another. BTW, my ken smith was my favorite for gospel but i sold it. Rigs tend to typically be like kwesi said, ampeg.

3. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    We play a ton of urban gospel and I have found that my Devon fit the bill the best...but I think the new Elrick is going to take its place. Gotta dig those soapbars, for dat funky stuff! I also have a Callowhill on order and those things are designed for black gospel.

For my house rig, I use my line 6 floor POD and a 12" tilt-back monitor. My live rig is a Shuttle 6.0 and an Epifani 410-UL I.

4. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    Michael Dolan 5 (Demeter pre and custom pickups very Ken Smith-like tone.)
    Genz Benz 1200 into Accugroove cabs 10" and 12"
    GW 6 (Custom Kent Armstrong pickups also Smith-like but with a more low mid hump with Pope pre. Wiring is slightly different.)
    Pavel 5 soon.

5. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    What are the specs on the Pavel?

6. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    5 string
    parallel hum cancelling JJ
    18 v Aguilar 2 band pre
    Swamp ash body (bleached)
    Flamey burl maple top (bleached)
    Rock Maple neck
    Birdseye Maple Fingerboard w/Abalone dots
    Chrome hardware
    All bleached woods will be stained with baby ocean teal.

7. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I think I supplied the swamp ash for that bass.

8. yes...we know what Urban gospel is...

we play what we have...

the rig and setup doesn't make it "urban gospel"...the MUSIC does...

9. That's what I realized. Music is mobile :)

10. Man, you've got some nice basses there. I'd love to play that Callowhill. When I'm ready to order a new bass I think I'll order a Junk 5'er. They look freakin' amazing.

11. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    I ordered Hezekiah Walker's greatest hits purely for the bass parts there, great stuff.

BTW what bass is the the bass player playing here?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

At first glance it looks like a Lull.

13. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Currently I'm using my Sadowsky UV70 fiver through a Hartke HA5500 and XL4.5 cab. I don't "love" the Hartke set up ( noisey and lacks in tone) but it's ok. I get my Ken Smith today so I'm interested to hear how it sounds through the Hartke on Sunday... Glory! Glory!

I got the Ken and it KILLS... even through the Hartke. between the KS and the Smith I don't need another bass!

14. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I think it's a Rudy Pensa.

15. Unfortunately, I don't play too much urban Gospel anymore because our cover band is too busy. BUT, when I did, my MTD 535 with SWR head and cabs was the best combination I tried. The huge lows and crystal clear highs just sounded great.

16. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    You're right! As confirmed by their website, well spotted!

17. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm aware of what Urban Gospel is as it's one of the genres I have played for many years (used to be known as "Black Gospel"). Here's what I'm using these days...

Conklin GTBD7
    Eden Nemesis NA650
    Zoom B2.1u (sometimes)
    Radial Bassbone (especially if I'm also playing my SX fretless 5 string or Cort Curbow 5 string)

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Cool. That thing sounded huge! Nice bass and I dig the small body profile!

19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I play a P&W with one group and Urban Gospel with another. I use the same setup for both, but do some tweaking at times. I'm going all IEM this Sunday (with my PHA-1 b/c I have to share an out with one of the guitartist) at the P&W gig.

Lakland JO5 with Bart 57J's and J-Retro
    LMII
    UL310 or PS112

I sold my 55-02 and have a CallowHill J(unk)5 on order:
    Ash/maple/Black blocks-binding/Big Splits/Nordy 3-band pre with passive tone and bypass

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dang,

it took 11 posts for someone to finally mention a KS?!

TB, you're getting sluggish! ;)