1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    kinda funny,

but its near impossible to be hired for pop r&b or hiphop, *unless* you have a gospel background.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    really surprised more people dont talk about pensa's.

3. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldnt say impossible, but those are the genres that urban gospel is based from, so i think thats why a lot of the players have that background. But there are some players who dont have that background. The new bass player from the roots doesnt, and i did a tour with the greyboy allstars and theyir bass player said he was touring with redman and method man, uriah duffy also, quite a few others. I guess it all depends on the MD. Id say the main basses that im seeing being used as of late are MTD's.

4. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    4 years ago MTD flooded the Gospel market, before that it was Ken Smith. lately I see a lot of individuality of bass selection (especially among the Pros) in play. Of the 10 major gospel shows I've seen this year there must have been 7 diff basses used. some of which were various jazz basses, Ken Smith, MTD, Peavey Cirrus USA, Fodera. So No one (brand) has the strong hold anymore IMO. As for the gospel backgound... I think it makes your playing so much more expressive which comes across as "creative" in the other genres.
    :ninja:

5. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    I've been doin the Urban Gospel thing for about 8 years now in the local St. Louis scene. Here's my set up.

Rack Mount
    Furman Power Conditioner
    Korg DTR2 Tuner
    Avalon U5
    Kustom 1200HD (Basically just to power the Avalon
    Aguilar GS212)

Line 6 POD XT Live

1986 Ken Smith CR5MW
    1978 Fender Jazz

I use the Ken Smith for the more modern Hillsong stuff and use the Jazz for the more rock stuff, like Lincoln Brewster.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Damnnnnn

7. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I have been playing Urban Gospel(Fred Hammond, Marvin Sapp, Yolanda Adams, Kirk Franklin, Donnie McClurkin, Hezekiah Walker, New Direction, Byron Cage, and John P. Kee) for over ten years. The players in this genre are amazing because there is so much freedom for expression when you play.

My rig consists of

MTD Kingston Z6
    Lakland 55-01
    Cort/Elrick RB5
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Epifani PS210 and 115

I just got this amp setup about over a month ago and love it. It's the perfect combination of tone, clarity, and volume. I usually alternate which bass I play each Sunday but they all sit in the mix very well.

8. I have to agree with you here. The reason I wanted a Valenti J5 with EMG's is for the hot slap tone and the EQ'ed sound of them, kind of like that Pensa in the video. If everyone were to play Ken Smiths or MTD's then there would be little variety of bass tones from artist to artist. That Pensa that was being played was a perfect example of the tone I try to achieve every time I play in church. It's not exactly like that but it comes close, but to me it's much different than a Peavey Cirrus or a Smith IMO.

9. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    They are all different in tone, But thats the beauty of it. It's "hip" to be different (especially among the pros) these days. Personally my Sadaowky J and Ken Smith BSR5GN are the "beginning and end" of (Gospel) tone. But for You that Pensa has you in a strangle hold! lol But again, there seems to be a more relaxed attitude about what bass you play IMO. Eventhough some "LiFERS" will still say otherwise. :D

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    My set up isnt that "traditional" for urban gospel but it works for me.

Bee Bass 7 stringm(main bass)
    Modified Groove Tools 7(aggie preamp & 18v system)
    boss octave pedal
    Fender bassman 210 combo(main amp)
    SWR 350x head
    Avatar 112 cab(4 ohm)(flight rig)
    Planet Waves cables

Of coarse all is subject to change sporadicly LOL.

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    We've got a doosie I'm working on for Sunday called "Got Me Some Joy". I'm using one of my own through and old Sansamp DI straight to the board, then back through and Aviom. It works.

12. Oh yeah, I love that Pensa's tone, as I do my Valenti's tone. I'm glad there's such freedom in what gear one plays since now the focus can be on what you're really playing for, the Lord. I also realize that by listening to the gospel radio station here in town that there are so many different styles one can play in gospel. Most, like me, think that a good slap line is what defines the gospel sound but the more I listen, the more I realize that, while there is plenty of slap and thump going on, there's also other styles as well. It all depends on what the song calls for I guess. The more versatile a player is, the better he is IMO.

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Amen brother! I like the thump too, but that's just one thing I love.

14. Oooo I love Tye Tribbett!!!!! I'm gonna listen now :D

15. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    5-string Carvin or
    4-string Alembic Orion

through

Ashdown Superfly + 1x15" BagEnd or
    SWR Silverado Special (2x12")

Crisp, clean, clear tones, and makes its presence felt without being overbearing.

16. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Ooooo Mr. Tribbett! Here is his signature bass from CallowHill!

l_4f89160c342537a97500bf1c134a1404.

l_1d75f3e5ac0c5210ae8b7770ec7035dc.

l_6bca98092768584dd769e52b7dee0f5c.

l_80ac7111d7de4a78d337c896eaaceaae.

17. Man, I've got to get my hands on one of those Callowhill Junk 5'ers. They look like funk machines!!!

18. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is one sweet bass!

My setup is
    bass => Tech21 SansAMP DI => FOH
    => Tech21 SansAMP DI => GK Amp (for monitor)

Basses are either my Yamaha RBXA2 5-string or my Peavey Millennium AC BXP 5-string.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I must admit I rarely get a call for Urban gospel type music as my new church does almost all Modern rock P & W and Pop stuff. But when I was doing it, I used a Tobias Killer B 5, which was kinda the gospel standard at the time. While it sounded great soloed, it got buried in the mixed, it was a very scooped sounding bass. Now that I'm playing Sadowskys J's I often wish I could get some more cracks at it. I have a feeling if i slapped a set of Stainless strings on my Sadowsky it would kill in an Urban Gospel setting. And I know a Sadowsky Modern (which sound very precise and "Smith-like") would fill that need as well as any other bass on the market. I played a few different churches back then and I always showed up with my Avalon U5 and used their backline.

Currently a use a couple of Sadowsky J's with a Thunderfunk 550 and an LDS 210UL cab. It's loud enough to compete with a Marshall half stack for stage volume and we have excellent monitor and PA support.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is one clean bass! As I have often said, except for one awesome LEJ 6, I am no fan of P/J slap tones, but I have to wonder how that bass sounds.:cool:

My own setup is pretty simple, but I am only a volunteer player for the two choirs at my small church. I play a 55-02 and 2008 Fender Jazz V through a Markbass 1x12 combo (400w.) I recently bought a Sadowsky outboard preamp that really gives my Jazz some extra juice!:bassist: