1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Let's call it what it is here. The urban gospel is a more r&b, hip hop, smooth jazz, funk sound. Even with some latin influences like a lot of them have now.

It is not rock n roll or any form of it! The closest thing to rock I've heard in urban gospel is Tye Tribbett's song "So Amazing". Actually, killin song.

I totally dig what you're saying.

My old rig for this stuff was a GK 1001rb-II paired with a Bergantino HT-322. I still have the Bergantino, sold the GK and am going to invest in a good poweramp + preamp + compressor rig.

Basses of choice were a Cirrus 5, Yamaha TRB6p, Lakland 55-02. Recently a 4 string jazz that I'm not loving, I need that B string and want to get another Cirrus 6 or Lakland MM/J bass. If I had the dough I'd go straight for a boutique make with soapbars.

2. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Brice Z6 w Bartolini xxm56m split coils and Artec SE3 pre
    > Presonus Tubepre w tung-sol (soon to be jj/tesla) tube
    > Behringer EP2500
    > Custom built 2x10 w Madison Knight and CTS KSN 1165 500w rms @ 4 ohms
    > Custom built 4x10 same speakers and tweeter 1000w @ 2 ohms
    l_da7ae478efec807316846caab0c19f6c.
    l_e7fdd6674412220a3617f9aff70a966d.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those Brices look like a million bucks even if they proabbaly cost $400!:D Seriously, they are nice basses, and yours has some serious mods.

4. I was thinking about getting something like this. I think it would make a great bass for some Fred Hammond stuff.

CallowhillJunk5.

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Funny you should mention Callowhill, because that's my current axe. Callowhill J6 (prototype, see my sig for pics), Markbass LMII, and an Avatar NEO-B410. I use a B210 for road trips.

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    That's a sweet axe!! And since it's Mo' Fitz', it should do the job. ;)

7. abojo

abojo

Jan 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Haven't played too much bass lately, but when I was playing gospel all the time it was with a MusicMan Stingray 5 or a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 with DR strings through an Eden WT-400 and a Goliath II 4x10. I have also used Zon, Tobias Sig 5, and MTD 535.

Most of my gospel playing buddies also use Eden or SWR heads and cabs.

I'd have to agree with previous posts regarding the Ken Smith, Tobias, and MTD being the basses of choice a while back, but lately I have seen lots of variety even though I still see LOTS of MTD's out there.

8. Wow, I never thought that Eden would be a popular choice by gospel players. I played one and while it had a lot of thump and mid range presence, the pop from slapping really didn't do it for me. I thought it was a great rock head but not modern enough for my taste.

9. abojo

abojo

Jan 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yup, I would say most of my buddies use Eden or SWR. One of my favorite bassists, Maurice Fitzgerald is endorsed by Eden. He plays for just about everyone, including Fred Hammond. He is flat-out sick! He uses about 5 different basses that I know of but definitely an Eden guy.

Then you have Terrance Palmer and Andrew Gouche who both use SWR.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eden is all over the gospel backlines of America. Doesn't surprise me actually.

A lot of guys use SWR, Eden, GK, etc... You rarely see Ampeg

11. They must have some amazing cabinets then because I couldn't get any highs hardly from that Eden I played through. I only played through it twice. Maybe if I had it a week or so I could have messed with the EQ a little bit. I can see where SWR would be a good head.

12. For Gospel music, I play my Warmoth Gecko 5 with a Mike Pope on-board preamp in conjunction with a Don Russell "Carolina Soul" tube pre-amp running through a Crown XLS202. The current cab is a MusicMan (1980's vintage) reloaded with a JBL (unknown type). GASsing for a Mesa 4x10. That's it; no effects, no compressors..just me and the bass.

LVB

13. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I know Terrance and he uses Accugroove heads and cabs while Andrew is now with Epifani. I know Gouche used to be with SWR but he is one of the reasons I purchased the Epifani performance series cabs.

14. So if I were to look at some Eden heads to get a modern tone from them which ones would I look at? I tried out the Traveller 550 (I think that's the one Tom Bowlus let me use) but that's also the head that sounded so vintage to me.

15. abojo

abojo

Jan 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I figured Andrew might have moved on because it's been a while since I seen him play, but didn't he also used Eden at one time or a combination of the two?

Btw, when did Terrance change? Was it recently? He still has his SWR gear listed on his website.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How interesting. I have a buddy with the WT800b and an Epifani UL210 and to me there were plenty of highs. Sparkly and clean, but also that Eden warmth.

17. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    In the newest issue of Bass Player, Maurice is shown in the Aguilar ad. No more Eden???

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

18. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Gooch did use Eden for a while before the move to Epi.

To my knowledge, Accugroove doesn't make heads, so I'm not sure what head he's using these days.

19. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    On the contrary, have you seen Accugroove lately? Look again;).

That Aggie add in BP magazine is an older add, so Maurice may not be using them anymore.

20. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005