1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash

I know Terrance plays Pavel Basses.......very nice basses.

2. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I play my Sadowsky J and Ken Smith BSR5GN through a SWR Super RedHead with a Golliath III 4x10 (at home). The tone in a word... Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

3. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    My current set up is:

SWR Working Man's 2004 with a Goliath III Jr 2x10 and a SOB 1x15. I use the DI from the head to go to the board.

My main praise axe is my MTD 535.

we run a 32 board with 3 separate monitor mixes. our typical line up is Guitar, Bass, Drums (Roland V-Drums), Keyboards (occasionally 2 players at once), and anywhere from 10 to 15 Vocalists.

Unfortunately the house system for the church isn't the greatest, but hopefully they'll upgrade the system sooner than later.

But, my bass sound with a 2x10 and a 1x15 is thumpin' :bassist:

4. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
  5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to put a quick little endorsement in for SWR gear for this music. They are not my favorite, and the sound to me was totally crisp and pretty sterile, BUT in the mix it just sounded great and I can't complain at all.

I played a few gigs earlier this summer on an SWR 750x Pro thru A Goliath III 4x10 and it really worked. Tone was there and as is important for gospel, slap and fingerstyle were equally present. I found volume to be lacking but that was made up for with in-ear monitoring. I'm going to be doing quite a few more gigs with this particular backline with this group in the next year or so, so I'll get quite used to it.

Here is an example of pretty much the exact same sound I got out of the SWR backline that was provided me (all but the low frequencies which aren't coming thru the camera very well):

Oh yeah, for this particular gig I was playing an EBMM SR5, which is like, huh? Not expected for gospel but it actually worked very very well, I just slightly attenuated the mids and boosted the bass on the SR5's pre. Sounded very similar to the Roscoe in the clip above.

6. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
  7. da drive first

da drive first Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    I use a ken smith elite six(cocobolo cap and backwith a walnut core) and it absolutely kills with my lmII and berg ht-2x10 cabinet. :):):):):):):):)

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Most Sundays it's a Skjold 5 string into a LMII, pushing a Genz NeoX 212. The very wide voicing of the Skjold (which is MTD'ish but much better IMO) along with the same voicing in the LMII couples very well with the tight bottom of the NeoX 212. I don't need much more than that to get the tone I'm after. I use an EBS Multi-comp on the dual-band setting to help control peaks a bit when slapping. Works great!

9. Here in Detroit, the running joke is you have to have a Ken Smith (or MTD) otherwise don't show up!!! LOL!!

When I'm in that situation, my Valenti J/MM 5 comes out.
    But this used TRB5P that I just picked up may be a popular choice for MD's I predict.

I have one church that asks for my G&L L2000 a lot. The MD says it's "Like a Ken Smith, but not like a Ken Smith".....whatever that means!

Rig....usually whatever the house system is- SWR a lot.
    When I bring my own.........take a guess;)

IME- the very active, modern sounding basses - like Smith & MTD- are what a lot of urban gospel MD's prefer.
    YMMV.....

Or- a Jazz bass!!! :D

10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Epifani UL2-410 / LMII and JO5 equipped with Bartolini 57Js and a J-Retro was doing it last weekend. Can't wait to get the CallowHill J(unk)5.

11. WOW! So the MD's in Detroit tell you what to play? That's wild. Must be a Motown thing. LOL Although Ken Smith & MTD's are the hotness.

12. I'm just getting back into playing after a year and a half forced hiatus. So I'm not eeeeven gonna list what I'm playing on or through. LOL You guys would laugh me off the forum. Haha...but I'm greatful to be playing at all so it's all good.:bassist:

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I looked at your profile. That's a good bass, don't sweat it.

14. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I use a GK 1001 RBII with a SWR working mans 4x10..........
    As for a bass I used a Geddy Lee bass and now I have a American Fender Jass Standard...I also put on some Flat Wound strings and all I can say is WOW It sounds awsome.

15. I can't wait to see pics.

16. Oh you mean the myspace page? That's my Old Ibanez BTB. I loved that bass! I don't have it anymore. I wish I did. I'm working on getting all new gear now. I'm really considering Callowhill, Minniweather or Warrior. I'm actually going to Sam Ash tomorrow to look at the Warrior basses they have in stock.

17. Hey, it doesn't take a $3000 bass to sound good, it will help but that's not the only thing. If you give a Andrew Gouche a $250 Ibanez he's still going to sound good, but if you give him his MTD back, well......he'll smoke!!!

18. Check out some Laklands too. Sam Ash carries them, usually, and they're some great instruments for the price.

19. Yeah a friend of mine here plays a Lakland. The Sam Ash here doesn't carry them. You have to order them. Shoot they just started carrying Warriors and they're hanging about 15 feet up on the wall. The sales staff don't even like to get them down. But I know a girl that works there in the Brass/Strings/Orchestra section that said she'd talk to the guitar salesman and have him let me check them out.
    I'm thinking about a SWR Red Head too. Any suggestions?

20. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    There are several other choices I would choose before the Redhead. First off, I would not buy new - check out the stuff for sale on TB. IMHO, I feel GK and GenzBenz are a better value than SWR, but would lean toward separates with either a 4x10 or 2x12 cab, with a separate head. If you go with the combo's your upgrade path is limited.

Just my $ 0.00002!
    Dan K.