1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I feel you capnsandwich.
    Thanks for the input Dan. Really the only reason I'm going with the combo is limited space in my car. LOL. When I roll out to church I have me, my beautiful wife, and my 3 growing children. And that's riding in a '99 Sebring 2 door. LOL. I'm looking at getting a Magnum by the end of the year. So until then space is an issue. But I'm going to GC today to look at some Mark Bass Stuff. And then to Sam Ash to check out the Warrior basses. I used to have an GK combo amp which sounded too Rock&Roll bass-like to me. I'd love to check out the Genz Benz's though.

2. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow I can't believe how late I am on this thread. I play for a 1700 member church that has 2 services. I play for 4 different choirs. One does alot of urban contemporary gospel (Fred Hammond, Kirk Franklin etc.) and for them I play a 5 string Ken Smith. For our male chorus I play a MTD 535, and for the other 2 choirs I play my Warwick Dolphin Pro-1 5 string. I always play through a Bergantino HT-322 cabinet with either my Walter Woods High Power Stereo head, or my EBS TD-650 (which is currently for sale on this site). I mainly use the Woods for everything I do, so no longer find the need to have both heads. Our chruch is shaped like a big 90 foot long triangle. Because of this the bass spreads really fast throughout the church. When I am in the house it is usually very low. We have been trying to get the Aviom system for 2 years, but someone always drops the ball.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Our new pastor is also our worship leader, and a mean piano player. He plays a lot of the hymns with an urban feel, and likes the bass out front.

My Nordstrand SC5 through my Peavey BAM combo, with a model that I created for that urban sound, nails it to a T. I also have a model set up on the amp for my Cirrus 6 and my Lakland 55-01. I can get that urban sound with all three of these basses, thanks to the great electronics in the basses, and the versatility of the modeling amp.

I can also get the sound with my iAMP 800 into a Schroeder 1210, but it takes a bit more work, the tweeter in the Schroeder is pretty polite. Since I also play quite a bit of fretless, I have a GK/Hartke model set up on the BAM as well, so I usually keep the BAM at church and use my iAMP/Schroeder setup for playing at other churches or at local outreach events.

Here are the workhorses that get that sound for me.

Nordstrand SC5

garcia8.

Peavey Cirrus 6

Cirrus%201.

Lakland D55-01

D55-01%202.

4. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I am playing Lakland 55-02 or a walnut Carvin LB76P thru a GK 700RBII on top of a GK Neo 1/12 and 2/12.

View attachment 105280

Picture 001.

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Should be ready before the end of the year. Definitely looking forward to it.

6. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    GK 2001RB II & SCHROEDER 210212L

GK 1001RB II & SCHROEDER 1515L

LOWEND LEJ5'S & LAKLAND 55-02

7. Man Im mad late lol. Im going through a Lakland 5501 with Genz Benz 600 or shuttle 6.0, and a GB NEOX 212T. Ive been putting alot of cats onto GB for gospel. It has a perfect blend of clarity and bottom that to me fits so well.

8. Man that setup has GOT to sound sick! I know the bassist for Lisa McClendon was on a (I want to say) JO5 in one of her live shows recently. Either a JO or a DJ, but that thang sounded lovely.

9. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    My rig has changed again in the last few months but I'm really, really digging this line up, kinda went back to some gear I had in the early 90's and got rid of :) 91 PreGib Tobias classic, 91 Pedulla PentaBuzz fretless, SWR SM-900, Eden XLT 410 (SWR Goliath 410 at church) TC ELECTRONICS SCF pedal, DBX 163X Compressor. Really content with this setup.

10. ... just found this thread today.

This morning I played my MTD Kingston Artist through the Yamaha BBT-500H into a Yamaha 8 Ohm PA speaker and a B52 PA speaker, both 15s with horns. I've got the volume dialed in for the room -- a small-to-medium-sized theater -- but I will have to use the church's 100-watt Behringer combo as foldback for the choir and other musicians who still can't hear me.

Still working to put the G-K MB2-500 into play, but haven't dialed it in yet. My Peavey GV sounds better than the MTD through that head :eyebrow:
    Honestly, the Peavey sounds like thunder no matter what I plug it into.

DSC_2598.
    MyLittleGiant1000003.

[Edit, 22 DEC] I play the MTD K Artist through the G-K MB2-500 exclusively now. Added an Ashdown LG1000 for contingencies :) The Peavey GV is in storage.[/Edit]

11. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
  12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA.
    Engineer: AccuGroove Speakers & Amps
    Current set up
    Cabs: Whappo Grande & Tri 112L
    Preamp: Millennia TD-1
    Amp: Stewart 2.1
    Fretless: Kot 5 string 3 pick-up
    Fretted: Bee Basses single-cut 6 string Queen Bee

I play fairly loud & no one, including the sound guys, MD,
    Pastor, etc. has never told me to turn down. I'm blessed!

PA264194.

13. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    i'd love to play like that someday... he's mad smooth with the groove.

14. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I can dig it :D

15. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Current Setup:
    Skjold "Lions Pride" CS5
    MTD 535-24
    Nordstrand vJ5 JJ/PJ
    Ken Smith BSR6MW
    pair of Epifani UL-112's or Epifani UL-115 & UL-210 stacked
    Thunderfunk 550-B /DI'd to the front of house via aux fed subs (into a pair of EAW dual 18's) after the Driverack 260.

I have been favoring the Skjold, it is now #1 in my rotation with the MTD 535/24 & Nordy vJ5 being a toss up as to the second bass I take.

Lions Pride:

[​IMG]

Nordy vJ5:

NordyvJ5Tort.

MTD 535/24:

MTD535-24_3212.

BackupRig.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  16. I played a Lions Pride that a friend of mine owns and I must say that those basses are every bit as nice as any MTD I've played. It probably had the best neck I've ever felt and the B string was super tight. That one you've got is gorgeous BTW.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    You're not the only one to say that. David Dyson switched over to Skjold from MTD as well. Not knocking the MTD's at all, which are fine instruments, but Pete Skjold builds what many of us feel to be better instruments, and they are less expensive. Pete's custom bridge and custom East preamp, along with his custom wound Skjold split coil pickups, are outstanding. The tone is crystal clear and very natural sounding, while retaining a hint of a Jazz bass tone. The Lions Pride is cool, but to me the '92 offset design is absolutely killer. It balances amazingly well, and you have room inside the cutout to get way up on the last fret without even touching any of the body wood. Necks are stable, and Pete's fretboard is thicker than most, while the neck itself is still quite thin yet not wimpy feeling. The 18" string spacing is perfect IMO for fingerstyle and slappers alike. The long upper horn is ultra comfortable when strapped in, and the fact that he moves the bridge back means that the 35" scale doesn't feel like a long reach. Add in a zero nut and you've got clarity and amazing intonation in the lower positions. Finally, his basses are LIGHT, yet retain the fullness of tone of a heavier bass. My 5 strings weighs 8 lbs!

Sorry for the derail. But his basses are highly recommended, especially for modern gospel players.

18. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Thanks Capn' the Skjold is to die for! I think it's the beat of my arsenal.

And Plus 1 Jason,
    Although I am an MTD fanatic, and I think the world of Mike and his work. I would easily put Pete in the same league, his work is phenomenal. I am waiting on my fretless, and plan an offset 92 6er in the not to distant future. I sold a 92 man do I regret that.
    For everyone who is reading this post, keep an eye out for the Skjold's they are going to be big.

19. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

I've been happy with my Roscoe / Aguilar combo and the praise team seems to dig it also. It cuts right through the mix of keys, organ, guitar and a hard hitting drummer with ease, a thundering tight low end and just the right highs for a killer slap tone.

Attached Files: