1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    I used to play a little bit of urban gospel in the church I was in Orlando FL

My rig was always the same

Fender American Deluxe Jazz V FMT
    Markbass LMKII
    Schroeder 1212L

The sound didn't go through the mixer, I was just me and my amp... so I could crank it all the way up. I put it next to my drummer... oh what a happy drummer :D

2. My current setup is slammin.
    Valenti #80 strung with DR Sunbeams (super low action)
    Epifani UL310 series 2
    Markbass LMKII
    Auralex Gramma pad.

This is one of my favorite setup I've ever had. I do still miss my Smith :(

3. That Valenti is gorgeous, but I don't know about it being better than mine.:D

4. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
  5. Talk to me about that Kingston Artist -- the black one. Looks like you added a preamp to it?

Tell me about how it sounds and how it feels. :hyper:

6. Ok. So my NEW setup is the following:
    F-Bass BN5 Ash/Maple enhanced grain
    Epifani UL310 seriesII
    Markbass LMKII
    LaBella FBass supersteps stainless steel strings
    Sadowsky portabag
    Mogami cables

;)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Does anybody use a Peavey Grind in church? For such inexpensive basses, they really get a nice Cirrus/Ken Smith sort of sound.:)

8. Phillip, did you sell your Valenti or did you get the F-Bass in addition? I have not seen any for sale adds for that beauty. I hope you still have it.

9. Sterling, I actually traded it for my new FBass. I am extremly happy with the trade.

10. Cap'n. I don't know about you being a better bassist than me ;)

You prolly are though. LOL. :)

11. Yeah, I probably am.:D Just kidding bro, I really don't like comparing skills since everyone's got something they can learn from someone else. No one's too good to learn something.

So you don't have your Valenti anymore? What's up with that? At least you got a good bass in return. I hope that F Bass treats you right and nails the tone you're looking for. Fortunately my Valenti does that for me so my life is a little less expensive.

12. Phillip, it seems like you're extremely happy with the F-Bass, so all the better for you! The new owner of your Valenti isn't disappointed either, I'm sure. Congratulations.

13. I'll get Nino to build another one for me. I do miss that bass and Nino is a master builder. It's funny because when I stumbled upon the Valenti, I was searching day and night for a FBass. Actually, I waned the excat same one I have now. The only one I could find was a BN6 at thelowend. It was like 2400 or something and I don't play sixers so I put it out my mind. Then the Valenti popped up and I was like "sweet". It is a great bass, mike likes it more than the F and I like the F a little-bit more right now.

And yes, we ALL have something to learn from someone else. No age limit.

God bless all of you and Merry Christmas

Yay for Jesus!!!!!!! I can't wait to go to church now :(

14. What kind of pickups are in that F Bass? Do they wind their own or can they put in what you want?

15. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    Just reading though this thread, I am relative new to gospel music, I do this for about 3 months now, no real professional stuff so far. I here not even one player anymore(besides me) who just uses a 4-string bass?

16. Thaddeus Tribbett uses a four string bass...

17. by the way my setup is: MTD Z5 with Aguilar pre/Bartolini pups->Avalon U5-> Crown Macrotech->Epifani PS-210 and SWR Workingmans 210. It's an amazing conglomeration of gear that actually makes for a killer gospel rig. Sometimes I use an Ampeg 810 pro or a JBL SRX725 loudspeaker, the latter of the two being an aMAZing cabinet...

18. Cap'n George builds everything trust me,,, you wouldn't want any other pickups or pre.

Reggie Parker plays a 4 string.

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    That is a sweet sounding track! Andrew Gouche is great! Those basses are so sizzly yet pleasant sounding.

We aren't quite that smooth at my church. We pretend sometimes but nothing like that! We're more of a hybrid of urban gospel and modern praise and worship.

20. callowhill

callowhill

Nov 7, 2005
    It's a long running joke that Thaddaeus' friends and fans are separated by their abilities to spell his name correctly. I choose to call him Terry...

How is it that he can kill a 4 and make it sound the way he does? Pretty strange, but cool you brought him up.