1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urban Gospel Bassists, What's Your Set Up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I've nevert actually played an F Bass but I know that they have the best looking cuts of ash I've ever seen. I've got to get my hands on one.

2. Man. They are very nice basses. Do you have the chance to go to NAMM this year?

3. Not this year. I'm getting surgery on my wrist so even if I did I'd just be watching and drooling over all the basses.

4. Man that stinks. Hopefully your surgery goes better than planned and your up and running asap. What's going on with your wrist? Carpel tunnel? (sp?)

5. It ore a tendon, a ligament, and tore cartilage by picking up an 80 lb. car seat with one hand at an awkward angle.

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Dingwall ABII-5 fretless and fretted into church supplied DI or rig.

Attached Files:

7. Eric Morgan

Eric Morgan

Dec 17, 2008
    Manalapan, NJ.
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick basses, DR Strings, Seymour Duncan pickups.
    A bloodstained B.C. Rich Warlock, Boss Distortion and seven SVT heads and cabs representing the seven deadly sins. Oh, yeah...and black coated strings!

Just goofing...I don't play gospel, I couldn't resist...the Devil made me do it.

Happy Holidays!

8. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Main bass is a Ken Smith BSR5MG which is tuned a half step down (flat). I'm in the town where the award winning Miss Mass choir was founded and Malaco records which is probably the largest distributor of gospel and blues in the country, and all the cats around here tune flat in order to play easier along with the keyboard players. I must admit it was hard at first, but once you get used to it, it really helps as many of the recorded songs we cover are in flat keys. I use the house amp, GK 700RB and Hartke 4x10 cab through the PA via the DI from the GK. My back up is a Fender Am Dlx Bass V which is awesome. Ash body w/maple neck, stock electronics, very punchy!

9. That's a great idea. I've heard of people doing that with bass and guitar but I just use a standard tuned 5 string and do things the hard way. I was always afraid that the half step down detuning would cause my B string to flop out.

10. I detune as well for gospel stuff. My bass plays absolutely peeerrrfect when I'm down a half step. It's weird that I can't get it to play like that tuned standard. I've changed string sizes, my relief, and my bridge but nothing feels as good as detuned, and the sound is crazy! The Bb is massive...

11. haha! I had thought about looking up his name to make sure I didn't misspell, but I trusted myself. I've seen his name enough times to know better...

I don't know what he does to be so amazing, but he wears that bass out... check this clip...

It blew my mind...

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Thaddeus Tribbett is playing some monster fills although I thought the groove suffered a bit. I see nothing wrong with using a four string if the player is used to one. Frankly, I think it is easier to use a five than to detune or use a Hipshot to play below E on a four. Four string player who do that have superior fretboard knowledge, and transposing ability, IMO.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Agreed, but it looks like they had a little pit audience there and they were doing it all in fun. It looks a bit unprofessional to me given the large crowd there which they should have been playing to more than each other. But I'm not necessarily faulting them for it. I've been on gigs before where for whatever reason I just didn't care and noodled a lot myself. But I would never do that is a hired gun.

14. Yeah, you would have to. That's why I like fives.:D

15. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Honestly on a gig like that, alot of people in the audience come expecting to hear the wild stuff like that. I play black gospel as well and almost every concert I've ever gone to the musicians in the crowd have been "hungry" for the wild stuff bc they know these guys are capable of bringing out some wild and crazy ideas....not to say that it makes it right or wrong but as long as it's led by the Holy Spirit and not a "show me whatcha got" kinda thing, I say go for it!

-J

16. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, and while I'm here I guess I might as well post my rig as well....

MTD 535 or Warwick Corvette Std 5 or Alesis Micron Synth --> Avalon U5 --> Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 --> 2 Aguilar GS112's.

It's a small rig but packs a mighty punch! I typcally need to load in and out quickly so that also helps a bit with portability. I use the U5 as my preamp and DI and the Shuttle as a "power amp" since it's set flat most of the time. On gigs with no PA support, I just set my EQ via the bass and or shuttle. FWIW, I also tune down a half step and love it.....nothing like being able to play an open Bb lol

Be Blessed,
    J

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Totally agree, and I see that pretty often as well. But usually it's at smaller venues but hey it's all good. If they were having fun back there then so be it. I still think it's a bit unprofessional to be doing it while you have singers up trying to put some vocals over it. Imagine if the drummer just started doing weird fills and such behind all that. Give the guys a solo or some breaks to have their fun, but I would rather they keep the music tight. Just my preference.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Amen, my brother!:D

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree. Flash is very much part of Gospel performance culture. It rubs me wrong sometimes because I am an r&b head at heart who got into Gospel with age. That said, ther crazy fills and vocal riffs can be seen as a sort of continuation of the "cutting contests" that took place at jazz jam sessions between great musicians. As you said, if people expect it at a performance, than it's all good.:cool:

20. Yeah. All of the above is true. This is even more true with the musicains in my age group. When me and boys went to Tulsa, OK to see Tye Tribbett they cut up. That's just how we like it. Thaddeuss is the coolest cat on the block. If you like his runs wait to you hear his actual grooves. On the albums he keeps it locked down.