Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urban Species - "Listen" : Who played bass?!?!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Mar 4, 2004.

1. In my CD collection I have a CD released 10 years ago (1994) from a UK hip-hop/acid jazz group called Urban Species, which was released on the Talkin' Loud label (London/FFRR in the US).

I know this is probably a stretch, but does anyone know who the bass player was in this album? And what bass did they play? (It's a massively (yet tastefully) compressed tone with a stinging attack, huge bottom and killer sustain) At first I thought it was a Stingray, but it doesn't have the "throatiness" of that bass. There's a few "traditional" hip-hop tunes with loops and such but most of the album has live musicians throwing down funk jams behind the raps.

The liner notes don't credit the musicians by instrument, though whoever that person was, was listed along with a bunch of other names (I do know for a fact that Jam/Style Council keyboardist Mick Talbot played keyboards/Hammond organ on this album).

Any UK TBers know what I'm talking about?