1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urge 1 vs Urge 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 28, 2006.

1. so..whats the verdict....whats better, or what do you prefer, the fender urge 1, or the urge 2

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I haven't played an urge II but i did play an orginal Urge once in a shop... You could really fly on the 32" scale fretboard!

I'm guessing the newer one sounds a little less hyped and 'active'?

3. how can it sound more active?, the urge one was an 18v kubicki pre if im not mistaken

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    well, i don't know much about it. perhaps i shouldn't have posted...

I'm not sure what pickups were used in the Urge I but they were solid covers and i imagined them to sound more like emgs or something than the fender noiseless pickups in the Urge II.

5. Heath-
    the Urge I has a Kubicki-inspired preamp, its not a kubicki pre.
    The Urge 1 is a players bass. Its got a short scale and a super thin neck, but the downsized body, ultralight hardware & short scale adds up to a bass w/ little low end. So they added a pre to add boost, instead it sounds active. The best quote to describe it " is you hear the electronics not the wood".
    IIRC, the pickups were custom wound for this bass, the J p'ups were "copies" of a vintage J Stu liked, but the P-p'up was a hotrodded version. To me the p'ups don't sound active like EMGs, its hard to get a feel for the p'up in passive mode, passive mode was essentially a "last ditch" tone in case your battery died.

My Urge I was my main bass for 8yrs, it does a few things really well. It does a great p-tone, but IMO only a passable but thin sounding J-tone. However i could play things on that bass that I could only dream about on my Dingwalls

I only played an UrgeII at a music store, I was impressed that they got more bass out of it and added a 34" scale.

I can say that it sounds good in Stu Hamm hands

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    thats the kinda thing i was trying to say

7. I like the II more than the one...i know a few bassists who play the urge II and its really an amazing sounding bass imo

8. Urge 1 for playability and awesome sound. Always thought the Urge II was just put out because players weren't going for the 32" scale thinking it was bit 'wimpy' !!

Cheers...