Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urge to buy an expensive mower

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Mar 31, 2005.

1. My old riding mower (Yardman 18 hp, 42" deck) is getting pretty ragged out, after 11 or 12 years of use....Now I could fix it and limp through another summer or two, but those shiny new riding mowers look awfully nice...Only problem is, when I start looking, there seems to be no end to the amount of money I could spend. Gee, I could get a cheapie 18 or 20 hp like the one I've got, for maybe $1600...or I could go up to $2000 and get a slightly better one...but wait, for $2399 there's a Cub Cadet with a 27 hp Kohler, and 54 inch deck.....well, if you're gonna spend that much money, spend a few hundred more and get a garden tractor, etc, etc.

I mean, to me $2000 on a lawn tractor is big bucks, but I would be willing to spend more if I would get more value for the money...ahh, decisions, decisions...

Anybody else drooled over some of these tractors? What's your take--buy the "el cheapo" or go for the heavy-duty? I mow about 1-1/2 acres but there's some steep grades, also I pull a garden trailer and 14 gallon sprayer....

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Nothing runs like a Deere. ;)

My advice? Buy the best mower you can afford.

3. Do what Mike says, don't go for the cheap crap...

...unless you live in my area, in which case buy the cheap crap. My dad runs a lawnmower repair service and new business is always welcome. ;)

4. Before you spend all that money on a new mower step back and look at the big picture. All you really want a mower to do is cut grass. Do you really need a cup holder? (Is your yard that smooth?) Headlights? (Who cuts grass at night?) Why are hoods on a mower aerodynamic? (For speed?) That being said, I have one with all those options and useless lights and buttons. Next one I get will be simple. Four wheels (two that steer), motor, SHARP blades electric start and someone else to ride it for me. All the extra cash left over will be spent on more bass gear. :) :)

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    It' just grass.

But, with that said... we all have our toys, don't we? :)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I bought a Simplicity Regent when we moved to the new home, and have been very happy with it!

7. My dad has had 3 riding mowers since they've been at their current house- 1989 or so. A Craftsman, a Murray and now a Deere. When I go over to help dad with the yard, I like mowing and doing work on the John Deere.

My Grandfather had a Cub Cadet for the better part of 40 years with no major repair issues, FWIW.

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I have a Polan (really it's a Craftsman, just a different nameplate) for 4 years now. No problems except having to change the battery. I love it.

Here's my advice. Some frankly are overprice - Club Cadet comes to mind. The ENGINE and the body are what counts. That's what I shopped for.

I got a Kohler "Command" 16 hp engine. Very good reputation.

It also has a CAST IRON axel - very important. Other ones tend to warp/bend over time due to the weight.

Also, got an Automatic transmission. It does make a difference. I can control the whole thing with the stick in my right hand. It's wonderful not having to shift gears.

Again, forget nameplate. Shop what's INSIDE IT. You can pay a real premium for a Deere/Club Cadet nameplate and get a mower NO BETTER than what Sears sells.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Have a Deere, it is real nice. Dad bought it back in 96; of course he never uses it :rolleyes:

Man I hate grass.

10. arnt scissors good enough for you people???

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a push mower I'm willing to sell cheap.

Get your workout and get the grass cut at the same time

[​IMG]

12. Popular Science or Popular Mechanics recently had a comparison of mowers. Good info in that article. I can't remember which one they liked best, maybe Kubota??

They compared noise, turn radius, ease of use, quality of cut, value, etc.