Urgent about a purchase!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Apr 11, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    hey all...im about to buy a Crate KX-80 200w bass amp and i was wondering if any body knows if it puts out good sound or if you know any thing about it..thanks
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You're about to buy an amp that you don't know anything about, and you don't know if it sounds good? Why are you buying it? Maybe you need to take a step back and think about what you're doing. Playing music is all about individual tastes, and getting tone that sounds good to YOU. Next week you'll be asking what bass will sound good with your new amp.

If you're not sure, don't spend the money. Chances are you'll be stuck with something you're not happy with.

Good luck!
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    and arent the KX series keyboard amps?
  4. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I have to agree... don't be considering an amp you're not atleast vaguely familiar with. Take your bass into the store and plug it into the amp, play for a good 20 minutes, then start twiddling some knobs and experimenting. If it doesn't give you the sound "you're" looking for, then pass and move on... believe me, I did oodles of research, testing, playing and couple of returns before settling on my previous Ampeg.

On a personal note; I would probably not be looking at Crate amps. And most certainly, unless finances is a main issue, 200 watts is a bare minimum. BTW: is that 200 watts @ 8 or 4 ohms??
    michael s.
  5. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I would go even farther and say don't buy a Crate as a bass amp. I have a BX-50 that I bought as my first amp. My guitarist now uses it as a practice amp and it's fine for that, but it was kind of useless as a bass amp.

No quality issues, the tone was just kind of plain. Nothing special.

Use your ears to pick an amp.