Urgent Advice needed: Life or Death situation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Aug 11, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Here goes:

My dads 63. Heart attacks and bypass in his upper 40s. Strokes in his 50s. Now he has an infection in his legs. Doctors say three choices:
    1. Amputate. Chamces of surviving the operation less than 50%. His heart is only working at 30%.
    2. Give him a spinal and scrape the infections off his legs. Then at least 6 months of changing bandages three time a day. Plus a strong possibility of a massive stroke from the spinal. Plus it just might not work.
    3. Don't do anything and let the infection run through his body till it takes him.
    The infection is called an MSRA infection if anybody knows anything about it.
    Thanks for any advice
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I would advise contacting Talkbasser mikemulcahy (that's his TB user name).

As an MD and bassist, Mike is very compassionate and is very generous when it comes to sharing his knowledge with us.

You never know. I am so disgusted with doctors who offer no hope just because their punk-ass, bargain basement, medical schools were jokes..........then, you find there are great doctors out there, like at Duke University or Vanderbilt University who do wonderful things.

Mike is very cool.
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Did the doctors actually use the word "scrape"? That's awful.

I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I wish your father luck.
  4. if it were me, i would rather go out in peace.

i am sorry for your father. he has my best wishes.
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) is kind of a super-bacteria... It's the kind that has been hit with just about every kind of antibiotic out there and becomes resistant to all but the really strongest of the strong medications.

No one, not even our very own Mike Mulcahy, can really give you an answer to your questions without knowing your dad, his full situation, and the exact medical problems involved. Even your own doctor can't do anything but give you potential outcomes... He or she cannot make the decision for you. You are going to have to sit down with your dad, your mom, and everyone else who is involved. You need to discuss quality of life vs. quantity of life issues. It's never easy deciding any of this and there really is no right or wrong decision... Just try to keep what your dad wants (or would have wanted if he is not capable of understanding what the situation is) when you are deciding.

I am sorry that someone so close to you is going through this. You have my prayers and condolences...
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Dad lost his leg 3 or 4 years before he died. He was a diabetic, and had an infection that couldn't be cured, but it was due to poor circulation, not antibiotic resistance.

You and your family have some tough decisions ahead. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm really sorry to hear that, you are faced with a really harsh decision...

I will keep you and your father in my thoughts.
  8. I am very sorry to hear of your dad's condition, and the choice you and your family face. You are all in my prayers.
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats very sad...
    I wish him luck
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Best wishes. Sorry you have to go through this.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Big Joe above gave excellent and compassionate advice.

My 85 year old mother acquired respiratory MRSA last year after several hospital stays. The medicine that finally cured her (if she IS cured) cost $1500 for thirty pills. Even the druggest was amazed and said the medicine actaully costs far more than gold when reckoned by weight.

I'm am very sorry about your father. He is only two years older than I am. I'm also sorry for your entire family because this is such a difficult situation. I don't pretend to give you advice. Only medical experts can do that. However, I can hope and pray for a postive outcome or the strength to accept whatever outcome there is. Best wishes.