Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent Advice needed...MTD players...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 16, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Would I be able to get a J-bass sound off a tulipwood/maple top, maple neck MTD?

Thanks!

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    theres plenty snarl , bite and growl - but the J sound will be about like the j sound you get from your existing MTD- i am not sure what you have now- but i had a tulipwood MTD and it was very big and open sounding. So resonant i had to sometimes control it because it was unforgiving and had a mind of its own-
    ash might be closer the the Fender sound- i am currently having a 535 made and i chose alder because i have ash on my F bass already and i had an R bass with alder that sounded great and Mike thought it would be a very versatile combo- ( wanut top)-
    having said that, and admitting to being one of Mikes biggest fans, if its a grrat J sound you want- i find my F bass NAILS that- both great axes- apples and oranges- but thats what i dig- variety.
    Hope i have succeded in cofusing you further..:D
    ps- i recently rewatched the bassday 98 video and he small Zon with the j's that Michael Manring is playing seems to nail the Fender sound.. i dunno... have you ever heard of Zons? :rolleyes:

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Adrian, you have no idea how much better this post makes me feel. I have been agonizing over whether to get this 4 string MTD on ebay (3 hours left in auction as of this writing) and wanted it b/c it might be a little less finicky with regards to the neck/truss rod, but I am not sure how it would sound.

I have been justifying my no go, b/c I DO have a 4 string Zon Sonus that I am sure nails the Jazz sound you heard from Manring (that is his "Vinnie" bass), and that neck itself is bulletproof, BUT it isn't "quite" there in terms of having that nice piano like tone I look for in a J...it actually has more of a midrange than the J-tone, while the J has more of a high mid presence, and is a more expressive which equates to more growl imo. That being said, the tone is ALMOST there, and probably close than what a MTD would get with the tulipwood body wood.

You helped me solve my dilemma... Many thanks!

PS: I was at Tobias's this last Friday and asked him to show me your bass...coming along SUPER...seems to be all cut and ready to be sanded.