1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urgent AMP Emergency!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by solo solo, Aug 24, 2012.

1. solo solo

solo solo

Aug 24, 2012
    Los Angeles
    So I just dropped my Ampeg SVT II head and it is making horrible sounds, my back up head an Ampeg SVT IV also has horrible problems. The entire amp in side A fried during a gig a coulple months ago. Literally every component. As I didnt have a backup that night, I switched to side B, but I could smell electrical smoke all set. I just plugged it in and the same thing, side B works but I can smell things burning like crazy.

My questiona as it is too late to rent or borrow an amp for tonight, how horrible would it be to use it for the gig, I doubt any more damage could be done to side A of the amp. When I opened it up nearly every component was charred.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Might e one components that has made a lot of soot everywhere. Soot conducts better than air, so you can make things worse with arcing and such, so really not safe using broken electrical equipment that is plugged into metal things you are holding.

3. solo solo

solo solo

Aug 24, 2012
    Los Angeles
    No It is literally almost every component on one side of the board. I would be happy if it was just soot.

4. solo solo

solo solo

Aug 24, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Is there a way to turn off the A amp and just jeave the B on?

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Why are you even considering using this? Electrocuting yourself isn't even worse case scenario. burning the place down with everyone in it is that.

6. solo solo

solo solo

Aug 24, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I am merely asking if it would be safe, just the kind of thing I am trying to avoid

7. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    Use another head for health reasons. Breathing in that type of fumes is not beneficial for the attendants health or yours. It's too risky

8. LBronson

LBronson

Dec 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Anytime you smell burning bad things will happen soon. The SVT II you dropped may be the better option if you are comfortable opening it and checking to see what is loose. I haver own one and it was dropped when I shipped it. From what I remember the tubes were loose and just needed to be set back in placed.

9. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    If that's what you need to do (can't borrow from another band on the bill?), I say go for it. Maybe take the dustbuster to the inside first, or some compressed air and clean it out. The voltage on the A side isn't going any furthur than R36 (if I recall correctly). If side B gets you through the gig, great. Worst thing that can happen is that you burn the place down with everybody in it.
    A tech is gonna take your first AND second born children to fix that thing. Most techs, anyway. Replacing all those components is a big job.
    As far as your 2pro, I'd check your tubes as those will be the first things to go in a fall.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Forget your amp for tonight, man. Chicks won't notice much difference anyway. If you can't borrow one, just plug into the PA, fake it, and play a good gig. Worry about your amp tomorrow.

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    +1

12. solo solo

solo solo

Aug 24, 2012
    Los Angeles
    All good but i am playin with some serious heavy players, not a hack bar gig. Actually it is a hack bar gig, just with some guys who totally tear it up(I have no idea why they let me play with them)Thanks everyone for the advice. I took my SVT II head apart again and noticed a cracked solder joint, but that wasnt it. So I once again reseated the tubes and that cleared things up. Thanx if it wasnt for you guys I wouldnt have double checked!!!

If anyone is in Los Angeles I am playing with Eric Dover from Slash's Snakepit/the Jellyfish/Alice Cooper on Guitar, Jimmy Paxon from Stevie Nick's band, and Jim Wheeler (Kenny Loggins band) tonight and tomorrow in Manhattan beach at a place called Pancho's at the corner of Rosecran's and Highland. No cover or anything just a cool musical hang. You can come see my totally bent to barely recognizable SVT II head.

Thanx again for the advice, I was really stressing.