Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT: ASHDOWN/STINGRAY TONE HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I am going to be sitting in for a set and I will not be using any of my equipment. I will be using an Ashdown ABM200 (one of the very first - Klystron Bass Magnifier - kind of cool) and a Stingray.

In the 16 years I have been playing, and with the dozens of basses and amps I've owned, I've never owned an Ashdown or a Stingray. I NEED SOME ADVICE TO GET A GREAT TONE ON THE QUICK!

The Ashdown looks like there is plenty of room for twiddling. I use a Euphonic Audio (and bypass the EQ), so these two things are night and day.

I have never played a Stingray long enough to mess with the EQ. I have probably played 10 or 15 of them in shops over the years, and have never found one that played worth a damn! I'm not bashing them, I just haven't been impressed with the ones I have seen.

HELP! This gig is tonight!!!!

2. IMO... if you are sitting in on someone else's rig, it's good form to not mess with it... at least the tone controls on the amp. Remember, you are the 'guest' on stage. On the rare occasions when I sit in on someone else's entire rig, I try to not touch anything... since when others sit in on my rig, it's always a rare treat for me to hear my rig out in the audience set the way I play it (of course, technique and playing style result in a less than 'apples-to-apples' situation... but it's still cool to get a rough idea of the sound the audience hears, which is usually shockingly different from what you think it sounds like.... sometimes better... sometimes worse!).

The Stingray 5 has very simple bass/mid/treble controls (I believe the 4 has only bass and treble). The Stingray sound is very wide... with very high, sizzly treble and very low bass... so, if the sound if very different than you are comfortable with, just roll back the treble a little bit and let it rip!

Finally, it's much more impressive to both the band you are sitting in with and the audience if you hit the changes versus having the exact tone you like.

Good luck and have fun!

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The good news that I've heard a Stingray through an Ashdown amp and it was a great sound.

4. Setting the controls on the amp is something that is actually expected from me on this one. The head is neither of ours. The other bass player is relatively inexperienced and seemingly worships every note I play and every tone I ever get. So adjusting the controls won't be a problem. Hitting the changes won't be a problem either. I've been given carte blanche on vamping and improv, so it should be fun.

I usually don't have a problem getting a good tone, I just thought it would be good to get some input from people that have used this gear.

Thanks

5. Ah... that's a different story.... sorry I misinterpreted you situation. The Stingray sound is cool... just be careful with that treble control if you are not used to a bright sound! Again.... have fun!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If the controls on the amp are the same as my Ashdown (newer version) than try this: Start with the eq on the bass flat. Then, on the amp there should be a button that says flat/shape. You'll hear the difference. It's pretty dramatic. The pre shape for the ashdown is very scooped. Make sure you bypass this, I think with the button pressed in. Again, you'll hear the difference right away. If you need to setup a sound quickly than make sure the 4 sliders are flat. There's a detent for flat. That leaves you with three simple knobs; bass, middle and treble. Cut the mids some, slightly boost the treble and then bring the bass up to taste. If you feel you need to do anything else than use the eq on the bass. It's a very powerfull eq. Oh yeah, if the gig calls for a little grind in your soud than turn the valve knob up a bit. This pushes your signal through the single tube in the amp a little harder. If you want a cleaner sound than just turn it all the way down (counterclockwise)

Well, there you are. If this is too much to remember, as it would be for me, than either print it out and bring it with you or alway just start with an amp you don't know from flat.

Have fun!
    Cheers.
    Andy.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I confirm that. I made the whole of my Summer tour with a SUB5 (which is the same as a Ray, electronically speaking) and an Ashdown MAG.

Well, what can I tell ? PHAT tone ! Neither mud nor less, either in lows, mids or highs.

Depending on how you like your tone (I like low-mid growl), I'd suggest that you first adjust the highs on the Ray, eventually cut a bit of lows if you find them too big out of the bass, then adjust the EQ on the amp. For my purpose, I send the maximum lows and the highs halfway from the bass, and then slightly boost the low-mids and mids on the amp.

Got nothing but compliments about my tone.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use a sterling through an ashdown and it sounds great (therefore when i put it in parallel its essentialy a stingray). I boost my mids a decent amount and bass just a little.