Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent: Bassist wanted for Hank III

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This ad is running in this week's Nashville Scene. Unless I am mistaken, Hank III is Hank Williams Jr's son. This is an incredible opportunity for some of you. Check it out.

Bassist Wanted for Hank III:
    Must play stand up & electric for country, rockabilly and speed metal.

Hank3bassist@hotmail.com.

Send all correspondence to:
    2 Music Circle South, Suite 212,
    Nashville, TN, 37203

The street address and zip code are legit. Dang! I hope one of you guys at TalkBass can grab this gig. Very best of luck.

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Must play country, rockabilly AND speedmetal? What in the world is he trying to do? I'm interested in hearing how that comes out. I have wanted to take a few country songs and add some distortion and give them a hard rock feel.

Clint Black meets Slayer.

The Satanic Cowboys?

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This would be an incredibly cool gig. The show this guys puts on is nothing short of amazing! They don't really mix up the rock and country stuff too much...when I saw them, they did a retro-alt-country set, then came back out after a break and did a set that was very punk-inspired. He does the living sh** out of both styles.

If I thought he could even match my current corporate salary, I'd call in a flash.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Shelton Hank Williams is the grandson of country legend Hank Williams and the son of Hank Williams, Jr. "Hank III" has a record released in late 1999 that you can hear samples of at Amazon.com.

It wouldn't surprise me if his sound has evolved since that first record which has enough twang and honkey tonk vibe to betray its country pedigree, but with the request for a bassist that can handle both speed metal and rockabilly, young Hank must definitely be moving into alternative country/metal/???

Mchildree, I'm glad you are interested, but the way things are in Nashville, I doubt you would want to end you "day job" to come to Music City for this gig. At best it will include recording and touring, but I kind of doubt it would be a permanent position. Still, it might be a jumping off point for studio work and gigs with other really big country names.

I wish I played double bass. This gig could be loads of fun. Guess young Hank wouldn't want a bassist old enough to be his grandma , though.

5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Metal and Country? Sounds like Primus to me. Well if in the ad they said, "Must be inexperienced and not all that good" I'd apply, but nah. I'm not fast enough to play speed metal, and I hate country.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You know, I remember a time when I hated country myself, FrizzleFry. But seeing shows like this one are what turned me around. There are people out there doing country that's raw, edgy, and really high energy. They "feel" what they're doing more than most of the rock acts. It's definitely not all the same old "cryin' in my beer" stuff, and not all the slick, glossy, GQ stuff you see on CMT and hear on the radio.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ever see the guy from Ministry talk about his project, Buck Satan and the 666 shooters? :D

8. Maybe Cowboys From Hell ?

:D

EBP