1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urgent!!! Carvin truss rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. odie

    odie Supporting Member

    Got this bass on a trade from a fellow TB'r couple things are a little off on it etc.

    Took off the truss rod cover to do major setup. And there isnt the typical truss rod. Rather than using a allen wrench it looks like it needs a regular wrench. Problem is that I cant get to it.

  2. Stupidnick


    Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    see ...if you would have bought a Wish'
    this wouldn't happen now would it odie?!

    For this punishment.. im sending you to Abu Dabi
  3. odie

    odie Supporting Member

    Thanx foxy gramps. Dont forget the prune juice!! :)

    So I take it that it needs one those wrench deals that has the handle on the side of the socket end??

    damn I need some sleep Im not making sense!
  4. Jon Burnet

    Jon Burnet

    Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i believe its a 9/13 socket.
  5. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    Carvins come with a wrench that fits around the truss rod instead of one that fits into a cavity in the rod, even if the rod is setting deep in the cavity. The seller should have included it with the bass. Plus, their tool has a nice Phillips screwdriver head that fits their screws on the other end of the tool.

    If I knew anything mechanical, I'm sure there's a name for this wrench. It's like a socket wrench. I imagine a good hardware store would have something comparable or Carvin would sell/give one to you.....plus the damn shipping cost.

    See that little "L" shaped doo-hickey next to the control cavity of the body (below)??? That's what you're missing, odie -

  6. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I believe its called a "box" wrench.

    They can be ordered from the Carvin website, as well as AllParts.com. Or, you can try your local Lowes Hardware and keep your fingers crossed that they know what the hell you're talking about . . .
  7. odie

    odie Supporting Member

    Thanx all. I remember seeing one of those along time ago. I never new what they were for.

    "Box" Wrench sounds good. I had no idea what its called.

    The big problem I have with the bass is that the previous owner put one of the Wilkinson/Carvin wide bridges on it as an after market upgrade. Problem is that its to wide. The B and G are right on the edge of the frets after you go higher than the 12 the fret.

    I think he will be sending me the old bridge. I'll ask about the wrench. Thanx all!!
  8. Schwinn


    Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

    I think it is worth getting the wrench from Carvin because, like Rickbass said, it is a niffy tool with a convenient screwdriver on the other end. Nice to have around.
  9. Casey C.

    Casey C.

    Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Odie, you can use a socket driver on it. Not sure the size though