Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent F bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I'm fairly remote and can't test basses ... I was just in the process of ordering an F Bass BN5, when I read that this 5 string's string spacing is 18mm. This conflicts with other places where I read that it was the "standard" 19mm. Fbass.com was no help; can anyone clarify it for me definitively?

Also, that knob configuration ... how does it work? I've liked to have master volume on the bass so that I can change the volume w/o disrupting my sound (balance between pickups).

Thanks for the help, gang.

Cheers,
    Tom

p.s.

It is urgent because they are going to charge my card tomorrow!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You could e-mail George.

3. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks, that certainly would give me a definitive answer, and if I had more time I would ... I'm just not sure I'd hear back from him before the vendor runs my card.

<o ="">I was hoping to get a quicker, middle-of-the-night response from the talkbass think tank so I can go forward tomorrow without holding things up.
    </o>
    <o ="">Cheers!

</o>

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah...short of e-mailing George, there really isn't anything other than TalkBass, eh? Suckage...sorry dude, I don't have the answer.

5. Hi!

For string spacing, I don't know, I ordered mine after I tried, it was perfect....
    For the knob, it's upper level: volume, volume(down single coil, up double coil), passive tone (while passive, down active, up passive! two push pull knobs on the upper level)
    Lower level: bass, middle, treble of the active preamp....
    Master+blend is an option at F Bass.
    For string spacing, email george and explain him gently you're speed..He answers fast generally....
    But won't won't be desappointed by buying that bass without testing it! an other member of that forum (Roscoe5) bought without testing it and he's not disapointed, he bought a seconf one recently.....;)

Hope it will help you
    Vince

6. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thank you, Vince. I move from 4 to 6 often, and this would be my first 5. One thing I know about me, if the string spacing isn't exactly the same as the other basses, I spend the first 10 minutes or so tripping over the stings as I adjust. Finally, I decided to only get basses that are the standard 4 string spacing: 19mm. I also decided to only get 34" necks, but I'm willing to fudge a half an inch if the F Bass is everything I hear it is! :D

Cheers

7. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    By the way, I do have an email in to info@fbass.com with this question.

I found what I wanted from a bass seller on the web and put the order in and was told it would ship tomorrow and that is when my card will be charged. Then tonight, I came across conflicting information about the string spacing and now I'm scrambling to find out what it really is so I will know if I have to cancel the order in the morning. :-(

Cheers

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    It's 19mm spacing. I even just measured it by the bridge to be sure.You will not regret your purchase!!! Fs are very comfortable in the spacing for me and I refuse to play an 18mm or less. I played my F live tonight and it sounded killer!!! It is amazing how musical and groovy the tones were.
    What kind of music do you play?

Enjoy your bass and BTW what finish and woods did you choose? Mine is a blue BN5....

9. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I'm actually planning on ordering an F in the next few days. I love the blue ones, but given they really vary in shade, and given I haven't seen any blue ones anywhere, I'm going to order a "fresh" one.

I think I'm actually going to try getting a custom finish, depending on whether George thinks it's a good idea. I'm likely to use the "neonburst" as a basis, but George told me that the pink in the middle really fades, so I'm thinking of having a burst that goes from a bright crimson red to the same dark blue/purple on the neonburst. If not that, then some sort of blueburst...a light cerulean or carribean blue to the same dark blue/purple.

Other than that, no other options...no custom tops, matching heels, or anything like that...just the straight F "recipe."

10. All I can say, it's that matching heels, custom tops, etc are include in GF's recipe, he will tell you....

11. If you want a different string spacing, ask for a A style bridge, wuith the standard B, you can't set the spacing. F is 34.5 scale, I don't know if GF would accept to do a special scale, I don't think so....
    Those things are not in the F recipe

Vince

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    String spacing is 19mm

13. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Standard configuration is still neck volume - bridge volume (I believe), but you can order it with a volume and blend if you desire. I'm pretty sure Adrian has ordered some of his with volume-blend (he lists it on his site 'volume/volume' or 'volume/pan').

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    like stated before- string spacing is 19 mm-
    you can order the bass with a master vol/ pan - i usually do. I prefer them that way, but Gary ( Roscoe 5 , the fella you mentioned earlier with 2 of them ) seems to like vol/vol better
    the rest of the knobs are ( top row) mater tone push pull active/passive
    and the bottom row is the wonderful preamp's three band boost only eq-

Georgie Porgie is still in LA after NAMM- Alain Caron had some show there. He will be back monday. But a call to the shop should answer any other questions. There is also an F bass users forum
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/FBass/start
    Good choice of bass! Now I am going back to bed, I only got up for a drink of water.... :oops:

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, I agree with Adrian and others, the standard string spacing is the 19 mm Hipshot "B" style. You can check with Jason at hipshotproducts.com to verify this.

As far as the V/V/T arrangement, that's flexible and it's entirely up to you how you want it configured. You can have it with either a master volume or two separate volumes.

But warning: the tonal range you can achieve with your instrument is going to be a little different between one way or the other. The two things to check into are a) F-bass still uses a "mono" pickup balance control, which is entirely wrongheaded and bassackwards, and it's surprises me that George hasn't caught on to the "right" way of doing this (with the special split pot and all that), and b) any in-line volume control is going to change your tone when it's set at anything except "fully open". That's one of the reasons people seem to like the V/V arrangement on a Jazz bass for instance, 'cause they can get special tones when both volume controls are set at halfway, that you couldn't really get with a "pickup balance" arrangement (unless you really knew what you were doing and had designed special electronics to put in place).

My experience with F basses (having owned eight of them now) is that the V/V/T arrangment is preferable, On every F I've gotten that had the pickup blend control, I've immediately swapped it out and restored it to the V/V/T configuration. I suspect that the "pickup balance" arrangement is going to give you less tonal flexibility in the long run. But, definitely experiment, the good thing about the electronics is that you can always restore them to the way they were. :)

16. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI

There is more than plenty of flexability to the F Bass preamp if wired vol/blend so I can't say I fully agree with you there.

17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    nah I totally agree with you nonsqtr. I played the other style myself and I love my V/V/T much better, but hey its an Fbass what ever mode you like it should sound good, but I know what you mean the "flexibility" is better.

;)

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My BN6 has the vol/vol setup, and I think it sounds great. It took me a bit of getting used to, as all of my other basses before this one have had the vol/blend setup, so I had to get used to turning up 2 knobs instead of just one. I have never owned or played an F with the vol/blend setup, so I can't comment on which is better.

I am going through the same problem with string spacing right now. My F Bass has the 19mm spacing, and my Modulus is the narrow 17mm. I never thought I would, but I have grown to love the wider spaced F Bass. So, I am seriously considering starting the search for another bass with wider spacing, at least 18mm, which would be closer to F Bass spacing.

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My experience and perceptions on tone mirrors Nonsqtrs' post. I prefer the V / V nob setup, which is what I have on my F BN5. That doesn't make it superior to other wiring scenarios, but it's just different in tone response and in functionality. The tonal diff is subtle, IMHO. If you like the tone of two jazz bass style single coils wide open (I always play my F single coil), then you should go with the V / V setup. The tone and response is more similar than if you use the master volume / blend

I'll agree that the master volume / blend is easier to use though.

20. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    My '75 Jazz is v/v, and while I love it for the tones I can dial from them, I hate to have to change volume at the bass because turning each knob separately so easily messes up the exact sound had at the original volume.

I searched high and low, and fell in love with John Patitucci's signature Yamaha bass. 34" neck with a great B, and 19mm string spacing on a neck with a really great feel. I love that neck. Anyway, you might start there. The new Patituccis have 35" necks, which I like but won't use because I have a fretless jazz and a fretless Patitucci, and I want to be so used to the fret spacing that my intonation is good on the fretless basses without so much retraining.

Anyway, thanks for the response gang, I really appreciate it. Now to press forward!

Cheers,
    Tom