1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urgent for school: Music critic (you don't have to be proffessional) needed.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Ok, you only have to kind of be a music critic...it doesn't have to be your job, but I already made a thread about this and the fellow I was supposed to email I emailed a tad late and he's on vacation. My teacher's understanding, but the assignment is late and he wants it in relatively soon. I'm in a music listening/critique class and our assignment from a week ago or so was to interview a music critic. Of course, I was a bit...late so the nice fellow went on vacation.

How did you get into reviewing music, and is it just a hobby, or is it your job?

What do you listen and look for while reviewing music?

What would you say constitutes a great musical performance?

Of all the vast musical styles, what would you say is your specialty to review and pick, if you even have one?

While forming your opinions, do you feel that musical knowledge is necessary to be a good critic?

I know that you're a bass player, how has this affected your views on music?

Why would you say we need music reviewers in modern society, since we're able to form opinions on our own? What would you say the purpose of a review is?

Out of the bands you've reviewed and written about, what would you say your favorite experience was? And the least favorite?

As a bassist, are you biased to music that caters more specifically to your instrument?

How difficult is it to get rid of preconceived notions before seeing or listening to a band?

When you review do you use a specific system? (The star system. Thumbs up/thumbs down, etc.)

Have you ever conducted interview of your own? If so, anyone notable?

Who are some of your favorite music critics or what is your favorite music critique website?

Thank you very much for doing this interview, on a closing note. Do you have anything else to say that people might find interesting about being a music critic? Any final thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brian

<<<<Anyone can fill it out. I'm posting it instead of email because I'm hoping to have one by tommorow, and email and Private mesasges and all that would slow down the process. You can just post it up here, or PM it to me if you're uncomfortable with that info. You can just give a bit of info on yourself if you want, a name, and a sentence or two about yourself.

Thank you so much talkbass for helping!

2. Bump? I'm at school so whenver you think you can it would be nice.

AGain, thanks,
    Brian
    "the ryst"

3. Uh bump. at school again. I think I'll just email an old friend. He's not a real critic really, but I just need to get it in. Anyway, yeah. Don't worry about it.

4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i'm not a published critic, but i've formed my opinions, like most any musician, and i've dabbled at it, and besides...i don't see anyone else on here, so here goes:

i hope this helps.
    dixon