1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urgent help needed. Earth buzz. New Pick Guard.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Mar 5, 2008.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi.
    Ive just put a new Pick guard on my Lakland Duck Dunn and its buzzing really loudly. In fact i cant get any tone out of it unless my finger is on one of the knobs.
    On the back of the old PG is some silver foil that i assume is grounding the controls. On the new one there isn't any at all so im guessing this is the problem.
    My question is can i just use some kitchen foil on the new one or should i get something special. And if so what is it?

Thanks for any help. I almost had a heart attack when i plugged it in just now. Thought i had ruined my new bass.

2. kitchen foil would work in a pinch, though you may want something more solid, like the copper tape used in shielding.

3. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
  4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
  5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
  6. that aluminium tape (note: aluminium!!) should be ok, remember you cannot solder to aluminium, so that' s why copper is usually used. You can solder a few spots between strips to ensure conductivity, you cannot do that with alu

7. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    You can probably find sheets of thin copper at a hobby&crafts store in the embossing section, if you can't order some proper foil tape. the copper sheets and some spray on adhesive would work just as well.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ok thanks.
    I wont need to solder anything. As long as the two pots and the jack all touch it it should be fine.

how about this stuff?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=conductive%20paint&source=15&SD=Y

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I used the Maplins aluminium tape when I added a pot to my Precision.
    Worked a treat.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Cheers.
    Im going to get some today.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just a quick update.
    I got some of the tape from Maplins and it did the job fine.

Thanks for all the help and tips.