Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT: Help needed from Singaporean Forumites

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Aug 29, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I'm currently in Singapore for a few days and i need some advice from you Singaporean guys! I want to buy a Musicman S.U.B from Davis guitar centre and i have a few questions.

Firstly, the tag says "fixed price $1050". This may sound stupid, but is it really fixed price or do they negotiate the price? Also the salesman i spoke to said the price does not include a soft case or hard case, i would have to pay extra. Is this a normal practice?

If anyone here can give me any help on these matters, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    yes when the old man's wife is not around, price can be negotiated by a bit..that's what i heard

3. tfaduh

tfaduh

Aug 9, 2005
    The old man is a pain. Avoid him at all costs. He's grumpy and cocky and gives terrible service.

4. That's partially true, he has his good days though, i found service to be better with the younger staff, the man's wife was snappy with me for asking to view a abg, in all fairness, everyone has their bad days.

5. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I did talk to a younger guy when i was there but the old guy was there too. He did seem pretty grumpy to me too!

Is the wife of the old guy old as well? That way i know who to avoid!

What would be a reasonable price that i could offer them? I can only probably afford around $900 since they don't seem to want to throw in a case for it. What do you guys think i should do?

6. look for an SX over there!
    it must be a lot cheaper than in they are in aussie or USA

7. Wife should be close to the same age as the hubby. It'll have to involve some unworded politically correct assumptions on your part though :smug: IF you do find SX's available here, please share where lol

edit: Oh btw, regarding a price drop, can't give any feedback there, I only go there when I have to and only for strings

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    From my experience, they seem to be a pretty friendly lot - just don't start the conversation with the intention of getting a lower price from the start.

9. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    They do have an SX jazz bass there. Its around $2-300 in an amp package!

I'll go and see them on Saturday and hopefully ill have some luck!

10. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    My experiance with them was good overall. I ordered an ESP guitar through them 2 years ago. I approached one of his sons - young guy, don't know his name. He was friendly but quoted me the wrong price by mistake (was actually cheaper than what he said).

Jeanette (his daughter, I think thats her name if I remember correctly) took over and she handled the sale very well. Gave me lots of very detailed info. I suggest you look for her if you're going to buy anything from them. The owners (old guy + his wife) can seem to be a little grumpy, but over the many times I've been there in the past, I'm quite sure thats just his way of speaking, and dosent actually mean to be rude or anything.

His wife tho, is another thing altogether. She never helped me out with anything, even when I approached her. The worse was when my guitar arrived, I went down and paid the rest of the amount (i made an initial deposit of $1000 previously.. 50% of the cost) *before* trying it out. Then I asked her husband if I could use one of their amps to check it out and he said sure go ahead.

I took out my pick and started playing, and suddenly she shouts "HELLO PLEASE DONT USE PICKS, YOU'LL SCRATCH THE GUITAR". Which confused me at first, but then she repeated it again, after which I told her that I already paid for it and if I'd let my cat run all over it if I want to. She just rolled her eyes very obviously and went inside. Another time a friend of mine went in with a bottle of mineral water (it wasnt opened) and she freaked out, telling him to get out if he's drinking water cos it would spill and ruin the carpet.

So yeah, to sum it up, look for Jeanette, talk to her about whatever is on your mind, she will help you out. The rest of the staff are alright. Just stay clear of the old woman! haha

Oh btw, regarding cost + discounts etc - Don't know if this helps, but they did give me a discount when I asked. I went and did some homework after that, and it was like this: Basically they are the only ESP dealer here, and if I went and got online (my only other option), it would have cost more. So I went ahead and got it from them. Good luck!

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I just got back from Davis. As Trev mentioned, look for Janet - she's really helpful. Her brother's pretty nice too, but you need to get his attention - he can be a little bochup sometimes.

12. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well i ended up getting the sub yesterday and i now have it with me back in Oz!

I spoke to one of the girls (i didn't catch her name) and she was very friendly and spoke english very well. She even wrote me out two receipts, one undervaluing the bass so i wouldn't have to pay duty when i brought it back into Australia! :cool:
    I ended up getting a cheap and nasty gig bag for free but they wouldn't budge on the price. Still a pretty good deal for $SG1050, which is around $AU8-900, which is significantly cheaper than the ~$AU1400 that active subs go for around here.

Just want to say thaks to everyone here for all their help!!!

Oh and yes the obligatory pics will follow soon!

13. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Oh yeah Janet, thats right.

Congratulations on the bass flexo. Looking forward to those pics!