1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boglej2, Mar 15, 2008.

1. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm in need of urgent help so thought i'd ask your advice. this is a very busy wkend for me, gig last night one tonight and one tmrw night, left my GK 700rb 210 in a garage on thurs night, we were playin in a cold community centre last night and it was really distorted and was not sounding healthy!!?? Could this have been from condensation and the fact it couldn't warm up in a cold community centre?

I have it at home now and i'm gonna sort it out b4 tonight, i was also thinkin it could be my bass. A MM stingray, i changed the battery in it before the gig last night but i'm not sure if it was a full battery, could this be the cause of my problem??

Thanks for your advice in advance

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The battery is your most likely culprit.

Amps don't distort because they are "cold", and electronics warm up sufficiently even in the coldest of temperatures. I've played a few outdoor shows in the middle of winter when it was almost snowing outside with a wind chill. No probs whatsoever, except for cold and sore fingers.

That being said, make sure your amp isn't damp/wet, that could cause component failures.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    +1 on the battery. Make sure it's seated properly and also make sure you didn't pull any wire loose when you changed the battery.

4. mntallpaul

mntallpaul Supporting Member

A cold head warming up could contain condensation, which isnt good. I try to carry my head unit in my truck cab. And at the gig I pulg her in, and turn it on right away , so it can warm up before pushing it. Just my 2cents, no pro here.

5. I do roughly the same thing in that as soon as I can apply power to my equipment it gets powered up and left on mute. It stays on until the end of the show. The most important part is your speakers. They HAVE to be allowed time to warm up to the ambient temperature of the room. I failed to to this after a night at minus 43 celsius. dropped a low B into the cabs and cracked the surrounds on one speaker in each cab. Stupid, stupid thing to do.

Another Paul

6. P.S.

If you play an active instrument you should be carrying spare fresh 9V batteries to every gig. I keep a "party pack" of them in my cable tote. I also change them every time the clock goes forward/back as I do with the fire alarm batteries in my home.

Same old Paul ;)

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That happened with an Acoustic amp I used. It wasn't quite down to minus 43C but close. The 18" quit. The road crew had been driving all night and just got to the gig in time to set up.

It gets cold in Canada in the winter.

8. And this one seems to have lasted forever!!!!

Paul